PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mounting usb drive

paknott34
July 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hello all,

New to Ubuntu and I think its Great! It worked fine for me the first day but now I cannot access my music / etc. that is on my portable drive - it says cannot mount... any ideas?

wishyjr
July 26th, 2008, 02:55 PM
at a guess it could be a permissions thing, try typing this in a terminal:

sudo mount -a

while the drive is plugged into your computer, see if that does anything.

bumanie
July 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM
An exact error message would be handy. If you have happened to have had it in a windows computer and not 'safely removed' correctly, ubuntu sees the device as still in use and won't mount it. If this is the case, plug it back into windows and remove it correctly; If that's not the case - cut and paste the error message and post it on the forum.

richg
July 26th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Hi All

I have a file in the Trash that I cannot delete. I think it has something to do with permissions. I get an error message when I try to empty the Trash. I am beginning to think it has been caused by saving my files as Root when I ran a different OS. I just transfered all my files from a backup external hard drive when I started running Ubuntu 8.04. I have not found a simple fix for this issue yet.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rich

bumanie
July 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Hi All

I have a file in the Trash that I cannot delete. I think it has something to do with permissions. I get an error message when I try to empty the Trash. I am beginning to think it has been caused by saving my files as Root when I ran a different OS. I just transfered all my files from a backup external hard drive when I started running Ubuntu 8.04. I have not found a simple fix for this issue yet.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rich

You should have made a separate thread as your issue and the original poster's problem are in no way related. If you make a new thread, someone will try and help - your premise, by the way could be correct.

TBOL3
July 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm guessing you like GUIs? Well, then first, take the item out of the trash, and put it in, say the home folder. Then, press F2, and type in gksudo nautilus. Go to /home/[your user name]. Select your file, and press Shift+Delete. Hit yes, and it should be gone.

BTW, I think that there is a faster way to do it, but I don't know, sorry.

Edit: I'm sorry, would you like me to remove my writing?

richg
July 26th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hi All

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rich

Sorry for this post. I had two browsers open for Ubuntu forums and I put the question in the wrong browser.

Rich