PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] One quick Question about installing Ubuntu

kornmation
July 26th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Well My Dad gave his old beat up laptop P4 with 256 of ram, and i want to install ubuntu but the problem is that the cd-rom does not work and it does not boot from USB so i was thinking that if its possible take out the HD and installing it on as a external drive and then puting it in the laptop, so could this work o not. thanks in advance

drowner
July 26th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I don't think it would work.

I don't know a lot about computers, but during the installation process it would need to identify things like the type of motherboard and where the sound card is, etc etc, so if you installed it on a different computer I don't think it would recognise it.

Does it have a floppy disk?

cariboo907
July 26th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Yes it will work, the kernel has most of the modules installed so you can move your drive from computer to computer with no problem. THe previous poster is talking from WIndows experience, where moving a hard drive from one computer to another usually causes large problems. Fortunately Linux is not Windows.

The only thing to watch out for is to install the proper version, I would suggest installing a 32bit version just to be sure it will run. I'm not sure if there are any 64bit P4's, but if you find that it is, you can always install a 64bit version later.

Jim

drowner
July 26th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Absolutely spot on there.

I was totally wrong. There is no such thing as a driver in linux.

Apologies for the bad advice

oldsoundguy
July 26th, 2008, 05:09 AM
and you may want to bump the memory if at all possible. 512 works a heck of a lot better than 256

I am in the process of building a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) using Mythbuntu. Had to change out a bunch of stuff as the box is an old "People PC" celeron (333). But the ONE thing I have done FIRST was to get the memory up to 512. (along with replacing the HD with a real one .. 120gb)

Oh, and eBay has bunches of laptop DVD dual layer RW units for a reasonable price.

Bush_Roo
July 26th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Install over network?

kornmation
July 28th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the help everyone I got to Try all those methods and will update as soon as possible ( Is that i got Promoted as Supervisor in my Work) i doo this update soon c ya

thomas576
July 28th, 2008, 01:24 AM
gratz on promotion get your new place running ubuntu and take over the it dept.

halitech
July 28th, 2008, 01:26 AM
another option, if it has a working OS on it currently is using Unetbootin. You download a program, tell it what OS you want to install, reboot and it downloads all the files and installs it. Works nice as I used it on my old laptop to get Ubuntu on it from a flaky win2k install.

stevoo
July 28th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Install over network?

Give a go at this before .... if you are just testing why not test it as well

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2493&postcount=2
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/08/how-to-install-ubuntu-locally-over-the-network/

:popcorn: