PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Reconnecting to the internet after a reinstall

mczonie
July 25th, 2008, 12:08 AM
My machine is acting glitchy as hell, so I'm going to do a complete reinstall this weekend and see if that solves the problem. Will I automatically be reconnected to the net after I get that done, or do I need to do some hocus-pocus to reconnect myself? I'm on cable internet.

TIA.

Xerp
July 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Assuming your cable modem has a dhcp server and you connect to it via a nice ethernet cable, everything will "Just Work" :)

mczonie
July 25th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Assuming your cable modem has a dhcp server and you connect to it via a nice ethernet cable, everything will "Just Work" :)

Is there any way I can tell for sure if that's the case?

Xerp
July 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Check your current network configuration from the Network Manager icon. If it is set to "roaming" you're good to go!

Be interesting to know the glitches though as I've never had to reinstall...

mczonie
July 25th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Check your current network configuration from the Network Manager icon. If it is set to "roaming" you're good to go!

Be interesting to know the glitches though as I've never had to reinstall...

I'm totally new to this, so I have no idea where the network manager icon is. I went to system > administration > network. Under "wired connection" it says "roaming mode enabled." Is that the same thing?

northern lights
July 25th, 2008, 12:32 AM
You'd be sorted to reinstall, that's the same thing.

Nonetheless, I'd tend to agree with Xerp - are you sure the glitches can't be fixed?

And if not, can you give more detail on their nature?

mczonie
July 25th, 2008, 12:35 AM
You'd be sorted to reinstall, that's the same thing.

Nonetheless, I'd tend to agree with Xerp - are you sure the glitches can't be fixed?

And if not, can you give more detail on their nature?

Yeah, there's a thread about one glitch here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869314

Also, when I was just in the network settings, it wouldn't let me unlock it. It said there was some sort of error.