PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mounting

Crazyap7
July 25th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hello i'm brand new to Ubuntu and have Ubuntu 7.01 Gutsy Gibbon dual-booting with Windows XP with Windows on my main drive and Linux on a 4GB flash drive.

I wanted to access my Windows documents as Windows won't boot for some reason after about 7 months of perfect dual-booting. So now i'm wondering if i can't mount my documents partition onto Linux to be able to access all my files and have the extra available storage space (as 1GB isn't really helpful). The windows partition i'm trying to mount is NTFS. Before i do that though, i have a few questions.

1.What are the risks? Is there any risk for my Windows to get completely crashed/destroyed/burned/etc. if i do mount the partition. Or will it just come back normally if it does eventually rework? I'm not trying to mount the partition with all the Windows info on it, just the one with my documents/games/all the rest of the stuff.

2.I right clicked on the panel (bar on the bottom) to add some new 'stuff' and found a disk mounter utility. When i added it my CD-ROM drive and both my Windows partitions appeared (on the panel) and when i click the drives it gives me the option to mount. Should i just mount using this utility or manually do it with the terminal?

There those are my two questions. Please post if you have the answers!

Xerp
July 25th, 2008, 12:08 AM
1. None really, especially as Windows doesn't boot! Just don't delete any system files ;-)

2. My Windows drives mount automatically. GUI, cli... its all a matter of preference.

oneporter
July 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
1. Limited to no risk that I know of (I did it for a good year without having a problem.)
2. Why can't you just click Places > Windows Partion? For me it was automatically in the list and when I clicked it it mounted fine.

Crazyap7
July 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Well i tried mounting but unfortunately my last shutdown was an unclean shutdown therefore Linux can't mount. I won't force mount because those documents aren't worth it anyways. I'll restore windows and go from there. Thank you to Xerp and Oneporter for their posts.

bodhi.zazen
July 25th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Well i tried mounting but unfortunately my last shutdown was an unclean shutdown therefore Linux can't mount. I won't force mount because those documents aren't worth it anyways. I'll restore windows and go from there. Thank you to Xerp and Oneporter for their posts.

I think you can force mount with very little risk, then move the documents to a non-ntfs file system.

Crazyap7
July 25th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Well my only non-ntfs file system is my 4GB USB Ubuntu is on, and there's at least 20GB of info in there. How would i go about force mounting the drive and leaving it forced mount for my mounting needs?

And while were at it, does someone have a possible explanation for Windows XP suddenly shutting down and not booting back up again????