PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to select resolution higher than 800x600

rorschak
July 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Fresh install on an empty laptop with a 1280x800 screen.

When I go into System->Preferences->Screen Resolution my choice is either 800x600 or 640x480.

The graphics card is Sis Mirage 3+ 256MB.

appi2012
July 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
You might give the instructions on the bottom of this page a shot:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire3002WLC

rockstarrem
July 24th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. If you see a checkbox that ISN'T checked next to a proprietary driver then go ahead and check it and apply it. Restart the computer and screw with the resolution again.

rorschak
July 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. If you see a checkbox that ISN'T checked next to a proprietary driver then go ahead and check it and apply it. Restart the computer and screw with the resolution again.

Hardware Drivers doesn't list a single driver. That's probably the problem.

rockstarrem
July 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Did you try the link appi gave you? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire3002WLC

koji042
July 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I think the problem is that your computer can't properly detect the screen settings.

In that case, what you do is go to Places > Computer > Filesystem > usr > share > applications and find the application called "Screens and Graphics"

From there, just go to Generic and find "LCD Panel 1280x800".
It should work after that.

Hope that helps. :)

rorschak
July 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Did you try the link appi gave you? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire3002WLC

Yes, I gave it 3-4 tries. Everytime it exited late in the keyboard config phase, with a warning about having overwritten a setting.

northern lights
July 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Okay, try this:

First, let's backup your current xorg.conf
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.backup

Now, let's reconfigure the xserver:

Run
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop from a terminal. You will be leaving the graphical environment, so remember the next two steps!

Press Alt+F1 to log in and execute
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Then restart the interface with
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Try to change resolution again.

In case something gets (even more) screwed, revert back with
cp /etc/X11/xorg.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

philinux
July 25th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Try using this in a terminal.

gksu displayconfig-gtk

rorschak
July 25th, 2008, 01:05 AM
In the
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
step it fails with
xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.<date>

It doesn't seem to change anything.

rorschak
July 25th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Try using this in a terminal.

gksu displayconfig-gtk

That is essentially the same hint as the one koji042 came with earlier. It looks promising, but when I test the higher resolution, it clearly doesn't work.

I'm afraid the problem is on a more fundemental level.

philinux
July 25th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I have a feeling the integrated video card is not supported.

northern lights
July 25th, 2008, 10:09 AM
me too.

Can you please post the output of
sudo lshw -C display
Thank you.

coffeecat
July 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I'm afraid the problem is on a more fundemental level.

It's probably that SiS graphics. I've no experience of SiS but from what I've read it's best avoided when using Linux. It might be worth googling that particular graphics card - and searching the forum - but I wouldn't hold out much hope. I came across a thread on another forum where someone with a different laptop but the same SiS graphics couldn't even boot up into the Ubuntu CD, nor any other distro's CD.

mingle
July 25th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hi,

Try what Philinux suggests. I had the same issue.

When the Display-Config GUI appears you should be able to select the correct display size under the appropriate tab.

Cheers,

Mike.

rorschak
July 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Can you please post the output of
sudo lshw -C display
Thank you.

*-display UNCLAIMED

description: VGA compatible controller
product: 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 10
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm agp agp-3.0 vga_controller cap_list
configuration: latency=0

rorschak
July 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
It's probably that SiS graphics. I've no experience of SiS but from what I've read it's best avoided when using Linux. It might be worth googling that particular graphics card - and searching the forum - but I wouldn't hold out much hope. I came across a thread on another forum where someone with a different laptop but the same SiS graphics couldn't even boot up into the Ubuntu CD, nor any other distro's CD.

That is very depressing reading.

northern lights
July 25th, 2008, 10:29 PM

I ain't a feeling anymore - it's not supported indeed.

In the repos, there's no driver better than VESA for the SiS 771/671.

Apparently, SiS does have linux drivers for their 3D chipsets, but only makes them available for their own R&D and their customers (i.e. motherboard manufacturers, not to the end user). Don't ask me why. Corporate dicks.

Also, this SiS R&D employee Barros has publicized the source of a 2D driver at least. This guy Dennis, himself owner of a laptop with the chipset, has collected all sorts of version of this source (compiled for 32/64bit and various distros) here (http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net/WikiBerd/index.php?page=LinuxSis67x).

You'll get hi-res, but I don't see you enabling 3D in linux.

Start hating on SiS...

If you're interested in the history of this accumulation, check http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4232057

rorschak
July 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Also, this SiS R&D employee Barros has publicized the source of a 2D driver at least. This guy Dennis, himself owner of a laptop with the chipset, has collected all sorts of version of this source (compiled for 32/64bit and various distros) here (http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net/WikiBerd/index.php?page=LinuxSis67x).

I followed the directions on how to modify xorg.conf and rebooted. On the first try the laptop started up in a panic mode, where I had to select screen size. It then went into 800x600. I rebooted again, the startup was clean, and I could now select 1280x800 in System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution.

The screen is now usable. Fantastic.