PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can skype 2.0 replace all the features of yahoo messenger?

SOME1ELSE1999
July 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
i have read many posts about y mess and how it will not work with linex. i have tried the alternatives but not 1 single program replaces every thing that messenger does. will skype 2.0 for linex? i am looking for some one who already knows before i start installing then having to uninstall this program. any help is appreciated.

Hospadar
July 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
linUx =)

but yeah, I can use skype in linux just fine, the mic on my laptop doesn't work, but that's a seperate issue. assuming all your hardware works, skype works really well.

I would suggest installing skype with the medibuntu repositories http://www.medibuntu.org/
Follow their guide to add their repositories and then install skype with synaptic or apt-get

acrosome99
July 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
But I have heard that video telephony isn't supported in the Linux release of Skype. Is this true?

unicorn_2003_1
July 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM
The latest version of Skype has video telephony support for Linux, and that's Skype 2.0

adamogardner
July 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM
skype wins my vote hands down. I've used 'em both. It didn't take me long to figure out which I prefered. Why? I'm not sure. It's got a good interface, It's very secure, and the sound is the clearest I've ever heard. but mostly It's just my preference. Anything with a name like yahoo has to be silly. Skype is serious, and sounds like and action word. yahoo sounds like a silly australian greeting.
If the names don't convince you, why not try em both.