pkj
July 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hi,
Using open-office 2.2
How to open docx, xlxs files

pkj

kestrel1
July 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I have a feeling that you will have to wait until Open Office 3 is available before you can open these files in OO.
You could always use VirtualBox to run a version of Windows, Have an older version of MS Office install (2000) & install the converter from MS. Then save them to the .doc or .xls format.
I don't think that Office & the docx converter would work well under Wine.

Joeb454
July 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I've managed to open them in OO.o (I think it may've been 2.3 or 2.4 that I used though).

You just need to force it to open them :) Though you can't save it back to the same file format

pmlxuser
July 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Just update your version of open office to 2.4 you can open and as said above you cannot save into the docx format. But you can open (read only) from which you can save to other formats. ;)

MatthiasHeil
July 24th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Use http://www.zamzar.com/ if you dislike OpenOffice.

WRDN
July 24th, 2008, 05:27 PM
You can use any version of Open Office to open the documents, and Open Office 3 (released September 16th) will include built-in support for the formats.
Currently, you can use the odf-converter-integrator (http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator) with Open Office to open Office 2007 documents. This is available in the repositories.

Seisen
July 24th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Hi,
Using open-office 2.2
How to open docx, xlxs files

pkj

Since you have openoffice 2.2 you will need to install the odf-converter WRDN mention. Now in openoffice 2.4 you can open those files without any problems.

pkj
July 24th, 2008, 05:58 PM
while trying to install odf-converter-integrator, i am getting the following error

dpkg: error processing odf-converter-integrator-chocolate*deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
odf-converter-integrator-chocolate*deb

pkj

WRDN
July 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM
while trying to install odf-converter-integrator, i am getting the following error

dpkg: error processing odf-converter-integrator-chocolate*deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
odf-converter-integrator-chocolate*deb

pkj

Did you download the package from the provided link, or are you downloading from Synaptic Package Manager (recommended)?

Joeb454
July 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
What command are you running?

You can also double click the .deb file to install it :)

pkj
July 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM
tried to download from the link
pkj

pkj
July 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM
tried with .deb file
installation seems to have completed.

while accessing a .xlsx file as a mail attachment, i do not know how to open this file..

pkj

kestrel1
July 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
How about upgrading OO to 2.4.1? I haven't needed to open any docx files, but the others are saying it works, why not try it.

WRDN
July 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
tried with .deb file
installation seems to have completed.

while accessing a .xlsx file as a mail attachment, i do not know how to open this file..

pkj

It should be possible to just open the file in the Open Office Spreadsheet program, and the converter will then convert the file before opening it in the Oo Program. There is no need to manually convert the file.