PDA

View Full Version : [other] [SOLVED] What is 'guest account'?

Masoris
July 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I read some people tying to make 'guest account' on Ubuntu 8.10.
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/1474/

But what is guest account? And what is advantage of it?

mjwhitfield
July 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Make a guest account that people can login to, and check mail, surf web.

Every time the guest account logs out, its purged so next user who login is a clean fresh account.Kinda explains itself doesn't it?

mcduck
July 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM
It's user account that is used to let other people use the computer without messing up your own account, and without making them an account of their own.

So, usually, it's just a normal account with username "guest" and no password, or some simple password like "guest".

What the developers are planning is a pre-made guest account that will automatically "clean" itself when the guest user logs out. So all files, web browsing history etc. will be deleted automatically.

stevoo
July 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
If you are living in a big house and you dont want others messing youre setting and stuff.
Then with the guest account, the user will be able to login and just do basic stuff no sudo power and everything will be performed on a different folder. So nothing you have will change.

Masoris
July 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
It's user account that is used to let other people use the computer without messing up your own account, and without making them an account of their own.

So, usually, it's just a normal account with username "guest" and no password, or some simple password like "guest".

What the developers are planning is a pre-made guest account that will automatically "clean" itself when the guest user logs out. So all files, web browsing history etc. will be deleted automatically.

Ok, I understand it. Can I make a guest account in hardy?

gjoellee
July 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
it will come in Intrepid Ibex

Elfy
July 26th, 2008, 09:10 PM
There's nothing to stop you making an account - although it would need looking at to remove files on logout.