PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CD burning and usb problems

shudders
July 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Hey all,

This is my first time using ubuntu as desktop and I've managed to get most things working thanks to all of you here on the forum. :) I still feel like a complete beginner though.

However, there are two things I just can't figure out.

1) USB-mounting. I'm running ubuntu hardy with a vmware windows guest. In order to get USB support in the guest I googled and found a solution.

change /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
remove comment from the following 4 lines starting with mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs

#
# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
#
mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

After doing this USB worked in vmware. But now the USB stick doesn't mount in ubuntu. Is there a way to get USB support in both ubuntu and the vmware guest?

2) CD burning. I can burn fine through Nautilus, no problems at all. But when I try k3b or Brasero they get (what I assume) are permission problems. I have checked "access to cd burning" in user permissions for my account. I couldn't find any other solutions using google. Do I need to disable automounting of CDs? But if I do that, will I not get a problem with dvd playback later? (I'm using this box as a htpc with mythtv too.)

Any help is greatly appreciated. And if any more information is needed I will try my best to supply it.

Thanks in advance.

unutbu
July 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Regarding CD burning:
Go to System>Preferences>Removable Drives and Media.
Under the Storage tab edit the command used for Audio and/or Data CDs. Or you can disable it and launch you CD burning app manually.

This I believe is correct for Gutsy systems. I have a vague impression that things might have changed for Hardy, but I just can't recall. If it has changed, check in System>Preferences for a similar menu item.

PS. If k3b or Brasero do not work, here is a down-and-dirty solution which may get them working. When nautilus notices a blank CD, it launches a process called nautilus-cd-burner. If you kill these processes, then other CD burner apps should work.

To find the process ID (PID) numbers, type:

ps axuw | grep cd-burn

If you see something like this:

user 15734 6.6 1.7 39128 18072 ? S 07:25 0:04 /usr/bin/nautilus-cd-burner

then type:

kill 15734
The second column is the PID.

shudders
July 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
The layout is a bit different in hardy (Removable devices noly show cameras and handhelds), but now that I know what I'm looking for I*ll try and find it.

I'll try your dirty solution asap though. :)

Thanks!

Edit: I tried disabling the auto-burn in Nautilus --> Edit --> Settings and then burn with Brasero. But now I get a different error. :(

BraseroWodim stderr: Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format) Fru 0x0
BraseroWodim called brasero_job_get_flags
BraseroWodim called brasero_job_error
BraseroWodim finished with an error
BraseroWodim asked to stop because of an error
error = 5