PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] compiling problem.

msmr
July 24th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I recently (after being unable to somehow find a way to add the universe and multi verse repositories to my synaptic) decided to compile bitchx.

Unfortunately, i ran into this problem.

configure: WARNING: cannot find setupterm - trying tgetent
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
configure: error: cannot find setupterm or tgetent

^^^ i install ubuntu maybe 3-4 hours ago and was just going around messing about trying to get linux how I wanted it.

I honestly have no idea wtf I did wrong or what I did, this is my first time really trying to do anything on linux of this sort and am stumped.

iaculallad
July 24th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I recently (after being unable to somehow find a way to add the universe and multi verse repositories to my synaptic) decided to compile bitchx.

^^^ i install ubuntu maybe 3-4 hours ago and was just going around messing about trying to get linux how I wanted it.

I honestly have no idea wtf I did wrong or what I did, this is my first time really trying to do anything on linux of this sort and am stumped.

What about doing it the easy way as bitchx is available in the repository:

sudo apt-get install bitchx

RomeReactor
July 24th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hi. Did you install build-essential? If you haven't, look for it in Synaptic (System->Administration->Synaptic). You need at least the GCC compiler, which build-essential provides, along with other useful tools; or, to install it from the terminal:

sudo aptitude install build-essential

Have you tried Pidgin?

ApOgEEs
July 24th, 2008, 06:42 AM
To add Universe and Multiverse repositories, Click on System > Administration > Software Sources.
On the Ubuntu Software Tab, Check on the checkbox with lines ended with (universe) and (multiverse). Then close.

msmr
July 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Eh, as much as I'd like to do this, whenever I did the apt-get install bitchx it didn't come up.
And honestly, compiling the software so far is more fun than I thought it'd be.

I'd rather like to feel more accomplished with myself and actual compile something.

I hope you understand my feeling on it.

also I have checked and I do have both the multiverse and the universe boxes checked.

It still only comes put with Pork as the only option that I come up with.

so if I want to get the program I want, I have to go and compile it.

and yes I do have build-essentials.

SNuxoll
July 24th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I'd like to remind you that development of bitchx has haulted and there are still numerous security vulnerabilities in it. I would recommend switching to irssi.

iaculallad
July 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Eh, as much as I'd like to do this, whenever I did the apt-get install bitchx it didn't come up.

I'd rather like to feel more accomplished with myself and actual compile something.

also I have checked and I do have both the multiverse and the universe boxes checked.

It still only comes put with Pork as the only option that I come up with.

and yes I do have build-essentials.

Yap, that's what they call the user's preference. Either you install applications by manually compiling the source or install it from the repo. I too prefer compiling from source as you have the flexibility over its source if you want to tweak it or merely just out of curiosity on how does a tarball become an application when compiled.
Anyway, that's just a suggestion. Happy compiling...

ibutho
July 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Install a package called ncurses-dev to resolve that problem.

msmr
July 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
yes, I have installed irssi, it's just..ehh...want to try bitchx. oh well.

ApOgEEs
July 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM
If you're interested in adding Repo from command line, check this out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine

RomeReactor
July 24th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Nothing wrong with compiling; it can be a lot of fun, as long as you know what you're doing.

Only if you can't find a precompiled version. You can search on GetDeb (http://www.getdeb.net/) for programs that are usually not available in Ubuntu's repositories.

I agree with Snuxoll's comment regarding BitchX; better try another client. If you still want to install it, try ibutho's suggestion.

SNuxoll
July 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM
irssi is pretty bleh until you install a decent theme and some scripts, check out irssi.org for a list.

ApOgEEs
July 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM

if you still wanna compile this and you have build-essential installed, you should verify that you have ncurses-term to avoid such error.

Install ncurses-term

sudo apt-get install ncurses-term

you may also wanna check that you have libterm-query-perl and libncurses5-dev