PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broke firefox...

kdb424
July 24th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I accidentally broke firefox, then tried to uninstall and reinstall it, and now I can't find it. I tried apt-get, and the built in package manager to uninstall, and then reinstalled with both and I don't see it. I do have a backup computer if I need to get files for it from the internet (in a browser) for it.

rockstarrem
July 24th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Try this:

sudo apt-get purge firefox-3.0
sudo apt-get install firefox-3.0

If I'm right the package name is firefox-3.0, not firefox. Obviously for version 3 :D.

kdb424
July 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Alright. I'll try that out right now. If it works, I'll reply from ubuntu not mac, lol.

kdb424
July 24th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Fixed it. Ubuntu died, and I'm installing Kubuntu right now. On the same machine. I love live CD's. I know it's a change of topic, but can I install and use both desktops?

Tim Sharitt
July 24th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Yes, you can install both desktop environments. Since you say you are installing Kubuntu I will assume you want to install gnome. There are a few ways to do it, all with varying numbers of utilities and applications.
This-

sudo apt-get gnome
is probably the easiest way, but I believe it installs the most "stuff." Before doing anything, I would recommend getting some advice with more advice on the subject. Posting a thread in the "Desktop Environments" forum for just this may be a good idea. Searching Google and the forums may also yield the answers your looking for.

steveneddy
July 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I think it's

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

kdb424
July 24th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I think it's

I think both work, but I'm trying yours. I said screw reading. I learn best by breaking stuff. My stupid windows partition is marked as linux on my rEFIt but I'll figure it out. Might be the bootloader. Thanks for all fo your help!

RomeReactor
July 24th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I think it's

Hi. Whenever you want to install another desktop, it's better to do it with Aptitude instead of Adept, Synaptic, Add/Remove or Apt-Get:

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop
If you want to remove it later, you can do it like this:

sudo aptitude purge ubuntu-desktop
Otherwise, you would need to paste a long command (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde.php).

kdb424
July 24th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks. I was told that by a utorial that I looked at but if I would loose one, it would be the KDE. I got a Kubuntu disk from shipit today and checked it out, but it's no Ubuntu... Can I try out the Xbuntu desktop this way too?

rockstarrem
July 24th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Yep, you just run the LiveCD and it should run. You can burn it yourself as well if you need to: http://www.xubuntu.org/get

kdb424
July 24th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I mean can I try out sudo apt-get install xbuntu-desktop

RomeReactor
July 24th, 2008, 04:39 AM
It would be best if you used Aptitude:

sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop
See my post on the previous page.

kdb424
July 24th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Thanks!

steveneddy
July 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Hi. Whenever you want to install another desktop, it's better to do it with Aptitude instead of Adept, Synaptic, Add/Remove or Apt-Get:

I had forgotten about that.

I have been down that path before.