PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Cleaning up Ubuntu

Polish Rifle
July 24th, 2008, 01:54 AM
When I used XP and Puppy Linux I prefered Opera browser over Firefox. I would like Firefox off my system but when I went to the synaptic package manager there were 1000s of files. I didn't know what to removoe or if it would be a file I would later miss.

This is probably a simple procedure. But how do I go about removing Firefox?

PmDematagoda
July 24th, 2008, 01:56 AM
You could either just search for the "firefox" package in Synaptic and remove it, or just execute:-

sudo apt-get remove firefox
in a terminal.

Rolcol
July 24th, 2008, 02:00 AM
There may still be files after you remove it using apt-get.

sudo apt-get autoremove

Polish Rifle
July 24th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks. That was way easier than go through the package manaager. Is it a good idea to uninstall programs on Linux if you're not using them? I figure it could free up the HD for speed.

Another Q.

Can I make it so Pidgen automatically loads at start up?

Joeb454
July 24th, 2008, 02:03 AM
System → Preferences → Sessions

You can add it in there :)

Rolcol
July 24th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Thanks. That was way easier than go through the package manaager. Is it a good idea to uninstall programs on Linux if you're not using them? I figure it could free up the HD for speed.

Another Q.

Yep. System > Preferences > Sessions. In Startup Programs, click add. Name it "Pidgin" with the command "pidgin"

Edit: Dang... He beat me ^^

Polish Rifle
July 24th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Yep. System > Preferences > Sessions. In Startup Programs, click add. Name it "Pidgin" with the command "pidgin"

Edit: Dang... He beat me ^^

Haha, he beat you to it but you actually told me what to enter in the fields. Thanks to both!

Let's see....can't think of anything now. I'll go for a few more mods later.

Joeb454
July 24th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I'll go for a few more mods later.

Sounds a little ominous being as you're a rifle...

rossjman1
July 24th, 2008, 03:00 AM

Another Q.

I may be wrong, but freeing up HD space will not speed up your Ubuntu. Unlike Windows, Ubuntu uses a separate partition for swap.

zoobean
July 24th, 2008, 03:41 AM
What to do then???
:confused::confused::confused:

Polish Rifle
July 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM
You could either just search for the "firefox" package in Synaptic and remove it, or just execute:-

sudo apt-get remove firefox
in a terminal.

So I did the sudo apt-get remove firefox, and it said it removed it. But Firefox is still installed on my computer.

PmDematagoda
July 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Do you mean the quick launch button? Did you try running Firefox to see if it still works? If it doesn't, then all you need to do is just remove the launchers.

Polish Rifle
July 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I ended up going into the package mananager and uninstalling it. Hopefully all the files from it are gone.

Now I'm trying to set up my Logitech Trackball mouse like it was in XP.

thecircusb0y
July 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Freeing up disk space is always a good idea. If you want to get more performance, I'm sure there are tutorials for tweaking disk seek times, services, cache, and all those great things.

Hardware-wise, RAM is very cheap, and an easy upgrade to do for performance.

cardinals_fan
July 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
So I did the sudo apt-get remove firefox, and it said it removed it. But Firefox is still installed on my computer.
Try
sudo aptitude purge firefox

tiachopvutru
July 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM

That's because the actual package you need to uninstall is something err... I forgot. I'm not on my Ubuntu partition right now, but if I remember correctly, it's something like firefox-3.0

Search for it inside Synaptic.

EDIT: Yup, that's the package. Do:

sudo apt-get remove firefox-3.0

El Conquistador
July 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
dont know if this will help exactly with your firefox issue but it will help as far as the cleaning up goes.

sudo apt-get install gtkorphan

A graphical tool to find and remove orphaned libraries

philinux
July 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
dont know if this will help exactly with your firefox issue but it will help as far as the cleaning up goes.

sudo apt-get install gtkorphan

A graphical tool to find and remove orphaned libraries

Don't forget to look in Tips and Tutorials forum. A mine of info.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140920

Polish Rifle
July 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Don't forget to look in Tips and Tutorials forum. A mine of info.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140920

Wow that's the second time I've crossed paths with you on this forum philinux. Thanks for the help. My name is Phil and I am also a guitar man.