PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Start up help

bonedragon
July 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
hi
i have no idea what has happened to ubuntu on my pc but i cant use it any more.
my GRUB screen for dual boot looks something like this.
ubuntu 8.04(1)
ubuntu 8.04 recovery mode
ubuntu 8.04(2)
Ubuntu 8.04 recovery mode
windows xp
i have no idea why i have 2 of them but until now there has been no difference between the two.
i normally use the second one but after i last used it during which i installed updates and restarted the comp as directed.
now when i try to go into the second one i get upto the ubuntu loading screen. it loads. then everything goes blank and nothing happens it doesn't even get up to the log in screen.
when i tried using the first one it logs in then everything goes white. i can still open some applications because i have set them to shortcut keys but cant see anything everything is white including the desktop and any opened apps. i know the apps are opened because when i use alt+tab i can see the apps but nothing when any of them are selected.
can anyone please help me?
thanks in advance

Joeb454
July 24th, 2008, 12:46 AM
They're different kernel versions.

Does the first option boot at all?

stevoo
July 24th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Those are indeed Kernel Version i think 2.6.24 should be the latest one.
The first one boots.
Try hitting escape or when you in the white window when it loads
press ctrl+alt+f1.
That will bring you up into terminal, hopefully you can see that.

ApOgEEs
July 24th, 2008, 02:50 AM
hi
my GRUB screen for dual boot looks something like this.
ubuntu 8.04(1)
ubuntu 8.04 recovery mode
ubuntu 8.04(2)
Ubuntu 8.04 recovery mode
windows xp

Try to boot using the second "ubuntu 8.04(2)". If it works, then your upgrade may somehow have some problems.

bonedragon
July 25th, 2008, 12:25 AM
hi thanks for all the help
but still no solution i had a hunch before that it was the update. but it was a ubuntu automatic update so i have no idea what the problem could be, all my apps are from symantic packages exept for AWN
please dont tell me my only choice is a full reinstall...

bonedragon
August 3rd, 2008, 06:59 AM
hi thanks for all the help
but still no solution i had a hunch before that it was the update. but it was a ubuntu automatic update so i have no idea what the problem could be, all my apps are from symantic packages exept for AWN
please dont tell me my only choice is a full reinstall...
Hi
i know noe that my ati graphics drivers are the ting that is causing the problems. as long as my system is running in low graphics mode it boots fine. but the moment i enable the driver im back to square one(which is i cant see anything(1) or it doesent boot(2) at all any advice?