PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to share internet

winsane
July 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
I need to share my windows internet connection with my linux computer because I don't have a working GUI on my linux box and can't get updates until I am on the internet. My firewall requires a login but never prompts for a login when I try to ftp or access the internet, so I want to use a windoze PC for my netwqork connection. How can I share my windows internet connection with linux?

LowSky
July 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
What kind of internet connection DSL, Cable, Dial-up

A cheap router could be a better solution but try this if you dont want to do that

try these instructions form the Windows PC

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp

winsane
July 24th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Ok..That seems like a big pain and I can't get a router because it is not my network. Is there a way to get a list of all the packages I need to get gnome up and running and somehow copy them from an existing linux computer down to a dvd? If I can get a gui up and running, th4en I can use a browser. Once I can browse, the firewall can prompt me for a user and password. Then I can get authenticated to use the internet. In any case, I need to get a list of the needed packages for gnome or kde and burn them to dvd. Where can I find this info?

iaculallad
July 24th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Ok..That seems like a big pain and I can't get a router because it is not my network. Is there a way to get a list of all the packages I need to get gnome up and running and somehow copy them from an existing linux computer down to a dvd? If I can get a gui up and running, th4en I can use a browser. Once I can browse, the firewall can prompt me for a user and password. Then I can get authenticated to use the internet. In any case, I need to get a list of the needed packages for gnome or kde and burn them to dvd. Where can I find this info?

I'd say you try the AptOnCD (http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/) utility. It's available in the repo:

sudo apt-get install aptoncd

Ptero-4
July 24th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Would w3m work fine for that (it's a console browser that doesn't need X11).

iaculallad
July 24th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Would w3m work fine for that (it's a console browser that doesn't need X11).

My mistake, I misread your first post ("because I don't have a working GUI on my linux box"). Actually aptoncd works in GUI mode.
And that does not support your situation.

hariprs
July 24th, 2008, 03:47 AM
1. Just enable internet connection sharing in windows
2. Connect your windows & Ubuntu using a cross over ethernet cable.
3. Assign IP address for windows & Ubuntu in same subnet.
4. Enjoy the internet from your Ubuntu.

winsane
July 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Is there a way to transfer the packages that are already installed on one linux PC and send via the crossover cable to the other linux pc?

Ptero-4
July 24th, 2008, 05:12 PM
On the working linux PC clean your apt cache. Then type

sudo aptitude reinstall -d gnome-core firefox, this will download all the stuff you need for your GUI and firefox without actually installing anything. After it is done downloading copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives to the linux box that doesn't have internet (it needs to be put into /var/cache/apt/archives).