PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on USB Flash

Ginoxy
July 23rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Okay i just bought a 4G flash USB to install linux ubuntu but for some reason something happened and the 4G drops to 65MB !!! how to get the 4G back ? is there anyway ?

LowSky
July 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
what brand flash drive?

did you format the drive yet?

http://lifehacker.com/software/ubuntu/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-a-flash-drive-245087.php

Ginoxy
July 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
ts imation and i did not format it ! how to format it ?

WRDN
July 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
In Windows, right click on the drive and click Format.
In Ubuntu, I would recommend using GParted (its in the repositories) to format it. The easiest way is to delete the partition already there, create a new one that fills the entire space, then finally, right click on the drive and select "Check" to check the filesystem (I had to do this, otherwise it wouldn't recognise the drive).

Ginoxy
July 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
i downloaded gparted but i can not find it ?!

Ginoxy
July 23rd, 2008, 08:33 PM

ok here is my flash usb what to do now ? how to get the full space now ?

Ginoxy
July 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
I tried to delete everything and i got 3.7g unallocated !
is that right ?

Ginoxy
July 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 487 3911796 b W95 FAT32

this is what i got now !!!

why the end is 487 ?

LowSky
July 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
I tried to delete everything and i got 3.7g unallocated !
is that right ?

Yes that is correct. Memory companies are horrible about actual memory sizes. For some reason they like to think that in 1000's when the measurement should be 1024. Also drives are approximate and will have descrepences between drives.

Can you post a picture of what gparted is showing you now

Ginoxy
July 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
here is the picture

Ginoxy
July 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Hello,

still getting the same message !

////

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 487 3911796 b W95 FAT32

////

Ginoxy
July 24th, 2008, 12:38 PM
anyone can help?

rossmoore
July 24th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure I understand the problem - you now seem to have a formatted 4Gb USB stick, formatted in FAT32. You plug it in and see 3.7Gb of space, as expected, and I presume you can now read and write to it. Of course, because it's formatted as FAT32 you'll be limited to no files greater than 2Gb, but apart from that you're sorted, no?

Ginoxy
July 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Well in very simple way i wanted to install ubuntu to my usb flash drive as this site shows

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/15/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-from-linux/

now the problem is when i go to this step

# type n to make a new partition

to make a new partition i need to choose like 2GB+ as recomennded but for some reason i got this

Partition number (1-4): 1
First cylinder (1-487, default 1):

see this is the problem i can not choose greater than 487 !!

muteXe
July 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I don't think the 487 is *directly* related to your 2Gb+ request...

Ginoxy
July 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
What do you mean ?

Ginoxy
July 24th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Guys any help !!

Ginoxy
July 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
i have been looking for help throughout many channels but nobody knows about this ! anyway thanks a lot.

Ginoxy
July 25th, 2008, 07:14 AM
i just formated the whole usb on windows xp and i got the whole usb memory 4GB but in FAT is that right ?

now i switch to ubuntu again and i got the same problem and error as below

duckfeet
July 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I also booted mine from a 2 gig USB Flash, but I downloaded 'netbootin' app, , and it worked fine, (w/2gigs), just following the instructions on here...I just picked up a 2gig flash at Radio Shack, downloaded the first 8.04 .iso file I found on the install site link here, and have put 8.04 on two computers without incident...most USB's are formatted correctly w/fat16 to begin with...maybe if you refrased your question, one of the tech savvy guys could help you...I know how frustrating it can be: I download and copied *three* cd's and just about gave up, and then did the USB trick, and it worked...I'm re-reading yer post now, see if it's anything I know...

O.K. I re-read, and 1st, I would have said not to reformat, as most usb flashes are already formated correctly fat16 fine for this...but anyway, I'd go ahead and download yer isofile, and then download whatever bootloader u choose to use, and give it a shot: worked fine for me...

Best wishes...

Ginoxy
July 25th, 2008, 09:05 AM
duckfeet thanks for replying, but my problem is with the formatting issue i got the same error i can not copy all ubuntu files into the usb ! i dont know why ?

duckfeet
July 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Look on the bright side: at least I'm keeping your thread alive until somebody who really *does* know what they're doing, comes along...

Anway, I reread your post, and went to the site you are using, and that is why I recommended what I used, which is netbootin, because with this little ap, I didn't *need* to punch in all the command line stuff: all I had to do was put in where it was going, basically, to the USB drive, and it did the rest, and worked fine, and if that site isn't working, "netbootin" is a little app, that works just fine...that's why I suggested it...

Ginoxy
July 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
okay so you suggested to download netbootin and the .iso file to the usb and thats all ?

duckfeet
July 25th, 2008, 09:30 AM
It worked really good: I didn't expect it to, either, as I'd had bad luck w/cd's...but anyway, I followed the ubuntu mirror guy's instructions, which was to first download an .ISO file to my HD--Ubuntu 8.04-- then I downloaded 'netbootin' to my USB, then opened it, and it has a little menu, w/USB on the bottom, and I needed to type in what drive and file I was using, and it did the rest,u know, transferring Ubuntu over to USB, and then I rebooted, just like it said, and I got that amazingly *happy* feeling, people like me get, to *finally*--around 4 in the morning--see the Ubuntu logo pop up, rather than one more grub menu....

Anyway, I just went to the site, and it worked...see what u think: the site seemed to encourage the mirror unbuntu, but I didn't like it, and I'm glad I stuck to the normal UB...

okay so you suggested to download netbootin and the .iso file to the usb and thats all ?

Ginoxy
July 25th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Well, now i need to know from where i need to download netbootin ? and do i have to be on windows or i can work from ubuntu ?

kpkeerthi
July 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

duckfeet
July 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Well, now i need to know from where i need to download netbootin ? and do i have to be on windows or i can work from ubuntu ?

Good question: I'm trying to remember: it was real late, and I was going between one XP box, and a Ubuntu setup, to install this on a third...I think I got it on Windows, yep, but I use Opera browser on all of them, so I'm guessing it would work: I'm not sure tho, u might have to check: here is the site that I think I started from, when I was in the same boat, on here yesterday night, trying to find out what to do:

*whoops!!!* guy beat me to it hahaha...good job!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

muteXe
July 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Well in very simple way i wanted to install ubuntu to my usb flash drive as this site shows

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/15/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-from-linux/

now the problem is when i go to this step

# type n to make a new partition

to make a new partition i need to choose like 2GB+ as recomennded but for some reason i got this

Partition number (1-4): 1
First cylinder (1-487, default 1):

see this is the problem i can not choose greater than 487 !!

Have you tried allocating 2Gb+ at this stage? Just to see what happens? If that "487" value is something to do with cylinders then I dont think it has anything to do with memory.

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/geom/tracksDifference.html

duckfeet
July 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Another thing: don't get bogged down in all the stuff that is for earlier editions of netbootin: here is their webpage, and I used it, and the above, and I didn't neet to write in anything: the unetbootin app did it all: all I had to do was type in where it was going, making sure I put the previously downloaded file, from the desktop of my HD, to my USB drive, as the little GUI did all the rest...I read the stuff about the *manual* installation, and didn't realize I didn't need to do all that: that is what the unetbootin app does...hopefully by now u have already figured all this out...

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Ginoxy
July 25th, 2008, 10:41 AM
guys

ITS WORKING

THANKS A LOT :)

:guitar:

dark_harmonics
July 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hard to believe there is a 3 page thread on this. If you have a large enough drive you just point the installer at the USB drive and it works. I have it running on the USB stick in my pocket with this method.

duckfeet
July 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM
My take on it, was that the instructions complicated the hell out of it, and made it seem like there were all sorts of stuff to figure out: I'm not the first guy to realize--kind of by accident--that once I loaded netbootin, NBdid all the rest...and I wander around w/my usb stick loaded w/8.04 around my neck too, which I'm always trying to stick in innocent windows ports

bluesalt
November 30th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hi, very useful information here for me :) Glad I found this thread. I've followed different instructions to install Ubuntu 8.10 onto my USB stick. I tried pendrivelinux's method of using the script to download the files but to no success for the past 2 days.
Then I tried unetbootin and got everything downloaded into my USB stick. However, I am stuck at the startup.

My PC (vista OS) starts up immediately with through the USB stick but I get the Unetbootin grey screen telling me that the system will start in 10secs. The message just keeps going on and on. What's happening?

Can I also get this same USB stick to start in Vista as well? Or have a choice in selecting the OS when the notebook boots up? I'm a beginner's beginner in Linux.

Thank you very much for any help.