PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] sudo password

DNK
July 23rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Every command that I attempt asks for the sudo password. I then cannot enter any characters. Please help. Thank you!

snowpine
July 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Every command that I attempt asks for the sudo password. I then cannot enter any characters. Please help. Thank you!

Hi there, the password characters don't appear on the screen... they are invisible... but you can still type them in. :)

ps there is no separate "sudo password"--when you use sudo, just use your regular password.

LowSky
July 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
it wont show you password. its a safty feature. just type your password and hit enter it will work

mailtwogopal
July 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
hi DNK,

Be sure whenever u enter any command that needs to access root privilege the system prompts for password.

Moreover, u cannot see the password in terminals, as u usually see in form of *** or .... in login page or/and etc. U enter ur password correctly, eventhough u cannot see it in encrypted form like *** or dots etc. it works amazingly. i also read in a forum article stating someone posted it as a bug but it got rejected considering security point of view.

Anyway try entering password and see whether command gets executed or not.

Good luck.

aysiu
July 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
It's not really an effective or consistently implemented "safety feature," but it also won't be changed. More details here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/passwordinterminal).

Just type your password and hit enter when you're done.