PDA

View Full Version : IT Security Programming in Ubuntu

munyaradzi
July 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Im new to ubuntu and im interested in IT Security. What Linux programming languages should i learn? Python? Perl? C? C++? Please help.

PS. I found it hard to get a link to post a new thread. Cant it be made easier?

Kadrus
July 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Read the stickies (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=832449),and I think C would be a good choice.

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Im new to ubuntu and im interested in IT Security. What Linux programming languages should i learn? Python? Perl? C? C++? Please help.

There are no real "Linux programming languages", unless you can't shells. Python, Perl, and C are cross platform.

What was hard about it?

Kadrus
July 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
True.Most languages used in Linux are cross-platform and some which uses Microsoft .NET framework can be ran on Mono,such as C#,F#,ASP,etc..But there are libraries that are only suitable for a specefic OS,and some work on all of them.

munyaradzi
July 23rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
How do i keep track of my posts? I understand now i have to go to the actual folder eg Programing for me to be able to post a thread. How do i keep track of these posts ?

Kadrus
July 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Go to:YOUR PAGE (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=630528)
then to statistics and then go to all posts.
That way you see your last posts..

pmasiar
July 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Im new to ubuntu and im interested in IT Security. What Linux programming languages should i learn?

Learn languages used in apps you want to make secure. All the above, and more.

If you want to develop your own tools, I suggest using Python for main development, occasionally adding C libraries for speed (after speed is a problem, not before). See this PDF presentation (http:www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-europe-06/bh-eu-06-biondi/bh-eu-06-biondi-up.pdf) about using Python to break into Skype from blackhat EU 06 conference.

ghostdog74
July 24th, 2008, 01:23 AM

learning about programming languages in the area of IT security is only the tip of the iceberg. IT security encompasses many different areas. Applications, networks, access controls etc. In your tour of duty and depending on what you do as a profession, you will encounter exploit codes, shell codes, etc. If you are interested in these areas, you might want to learn some C/C++/Assembly. If you are into web application security, you might learn some Java/ASP/Javascript etc (web languages). and many many more

tinny
July 24th, 2008, 10:05 AM
"IT Security" professionals tend not to be programmers. They usually come from an infrastructure type background (Networking / System Administration).

The field of cryptography is usually where the programming and security professions meet. But 99% of the cryptography you need as a programmer is usually available within the API's of the language you are using.

Cryptography is a language independent topic.

As a programmer you do need to know what the security basics are, like firewalls, DOS attacks, man in the middle attacks, Public Key cryptography, symmetric key cryptography, asymmetric key cryptography and Hashing. But thats about it.