PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] ATI or Nvidia card for Linux?

laptoplinux
July 23rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
If I were to buy a new computer in the next few months, should I go with an ATI card or Nvidia? In the past, Nvidia was the way to go since ATI historically worked very poorly in Linux. However, recently ATI has begun open sourcing its hardware, leading to the creation and healthy development of an open source driver, while Nvidia continues to refuse to provide aid for an open source driver, and can be slow to update its binary driver.

If I want minimum headaches down the road doing things like running a multi monitor setup, running Compiz Fusion, running KDE 4, or any combination of those things or other things, should I go with Nvidia or ATI? What is the current state of the comparison between the two companies' Linux support?

eragon100
July 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
They are both fine, if you don't about running binary-only drivers such as me. Nvidia currently works MUCH better with wine than ati, there are lots of games that work under wine with an nvidia card but noth with an ati.

I would still recommend nvidia right now, in my opinion they still work the best on linux at the moment, and they won't be working less well then ati in the future, at most the performance levels will then be the same.

By the way, as far as I know, nvidia is the only one of the two right now to support two or more graphics cards working together, under linux.
Ati is working on this, but not finished yet :(

So, nvidia it is! :wink:

Flyingjester
July 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
I would go with Nvidia

match002001
July 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
I have had my nightmares with ATI on Several different distros of Linux. So thinking about using ATI on Linux anymore makes me sick to my stomach.

I recently bought a NVIDIA 8800GT and Ubuntu found the correct drivers there was hardly any config I thought I was dreaming.

NVIDIA is the way to go if you don't want to spend countless hours trying to get it to work.