PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I switch to 64 bit Ubuntu?

pi.boy.travis
July 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I recently found out that my processor (Intel core 2 duo) is 64 bit, but I am running 32 bit Ubuntu. Would I see that much improvement if I switched to 64 bit Ubuntu, or is it not worth it?

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
See the sticky in the 64 bit users forum, and thread moved.

If you have a working system, and no need for it, it probably isn't worth the change, but might be when you upgrade or if you install again.

Dedoimedo
July 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi,

Yes. You'll enjoy a significant increase in speed, especially for memory-intensive operations.

Before plunging in, make sure the distro is suited for your architecture ... and backup your personal data.

Dedoimedo

Flyingjester
July 23rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
go for it, 64 bit is pretty stable now, so enjoy :)

LowSky
if your using more than 4GB ram then switching might be an option. 64 bit doesn't mean the system will be much faster just able to support more memory. Also many important appliations haven not been ported to 64bit like Flash. You can get them to run but not as 64 bit applications. i would stay with your current install.

C!oud
Usually there isn't much of an advantage of running 64-bit unless you have around 4 GB of Memory . Take a look at this link http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=616&num=1 and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit . No one can tell you what to run it's all up to personal preference.

pi.boy.travis
July 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
I think I may wait until Intrepid to switch.

tuxxy
July 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Yes 64 bit is fast! If you got the system I dont see why you would half its capabilities for a native 32 bit Flash plugin?

if your using more than 4GB ram then switching might be an option. 64 bit doesn't mean the system will be much faster just able to support more memory.

Video editing software excels in 64bit compared to 32....as will most 64bit applications.

Also many important appliations haven not been ported to 64bit like Flash.

I think you mean the 64 bit flash browser plugin? and even if you find a full app that isnt supported in 64 bit you can easily use the 32bit version but I can tell you most applications are 64 bit compatible now, people always say they are not but I find these are the people who either havnt got the 64bitsystem or didnt even try to run the 64bit.

I have yet to find an app not supported in the 64bit version except Flash mozilla plugin and that is Adobes task.

WRDN
July 23rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
What tasks to you commonly perform on your PC, as this could be a deciding factor in whether the 64bit OS if for you?

Currently, if you have a stable 32bit OS running, then I wouldn't bother changing. As you said, the time to change would be at Intrepid Ibex's release, though you couldn't change from 32bit to 64bit OS using the upgrade feature. Rather, you would have to do a clean install.

sujoy
July 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
64 bit may speed up compiling and other cpu intensive tasks like video rendering, conversions. but for other stuffs, i hardly notice a difference, but next time you inmstall surely go for 64bit (why not use it when you have it?)

mikewhatever
July 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
I recently found out that my processor (Intel core 2 duo) is 64 bit, but I am running 32 bit Ubuntu. Would I see that much improvement if I switched to 64 bit Ubuntu, or is it not worth it?

In short, no, unless you compile or edit video a lot, or have more then 4 GB of RAM.