PDA

View Full Version : Command for opening programs in different workspaces?

ConMan318
July 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
I would like a command line open on all 4 workspaces all the time, as well as opening some other programs in specific places, so I want to write a simple startup script to open things up on each workspace. How can I specify which workspace to open a program on?

I searched and found some old threads saying it can't be done, and saying a "Devil's Pie" add-on was needed, but I'd prefer a command, hoping there is one by now :p. If not, though, can anyone link me to a site showing how to emulate button-presses in Bash or Perl? I could do something like this pseudo:

open terminal
emulate Alt+Ctrl+Right
open another terminal
emulate Alt+Ctrl+Right
et cetera...

but I don't know how to mimic a button-press.

I am using compiz-fusion, and have the cube enabled. Don't think that should matter, but letting you know just in case.

Thank you.

mssever
July 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm guessing Devil's Pie would be your easiest option. Any Bash or Perl approach would depend on some library to do the work--and I'm quite sure that such a library, if it even exists, isn't installed by default. So you'll have to install something either way, and Devil's Pie is probably much easier to use. Disclaimer: I haven't actually used Devil's Pie.