PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] placing icons on the desktop

marlan
July 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hi again, with your help I have downloaded the programs I wanted, the problem I have now is that the programs are in the Applications list but there aren't any program icons on the desktop, How do I place them there.

tuxxy
July 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
You can drag & drop the icon from the applications menu, to desktop or taskbar or where ever you want it. :)

halitech
July 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
by default Xubuntu doesn't place icons on the desktop. I think (could be wrong) that if you make a shortcut to it and drag it to your Desktop folder in thunar, it should show as an icon pointing to the program.

linux6994
July 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
You can also right click on the menu entry and select to add on desktop or panel.

marlan
July 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Thank you all for your replies, I did try to drag and drop the icon using the right mouse button but that didn't work, I will try to drop it from the application name and see what happens.:)

paul101
July 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
why would you want to clutter your pretty desktop anyway. . . ? :razz:

Lord DarkPat
July 23rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
You cannot right-click or drag from the xfmenu
You should right-click on the desktop -> create launcher -> name/command

IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
July 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
I remember from my Xubuntu days somewhere there was some thing I checked that said "show icons". Maybe some one can refresh my memory on where that was. :)

marlan
July 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Hi Paul101, why would I want to clutter up the pretty desktop????? probably just because I am too darn lazy to keep going to the toolbar to get the program I want, my dad always used to say "Laziness isn't worth a dam unless it is well carried out" more likely because I just transferred over from that other unmentionable expensive O/S and I am still getting out of the bad habits induced there. Well that's my story and I am sticking to it.

barzam
August 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Try gnome-do that'll work wonders for all you people with cluttered desktops..

LowSky
August 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
my Gnome desktop only has two screenlets running, thats it, no icons, no mounted drives, just a nice wallpaper and system/weather info.