PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: Compiling and Running C# Programs

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Working on the rest, post suggestions as well. I am not skilled or experienced in C#

So you're willing to write your own C# programs, or simply compile someone else's code? This guide will get you started...

This FAQ assumes you're trying to compile error-free code. To actually learn the C# languages, see the How to start programming (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333867) thread.

Also remember that although C# is now an ECMA standard, and mono and gmcs follow it (at this point, up to 2.0 fully), many popular libraries used by C# in Windows are not part of the standard.

0.a. Make sure the third party repositories are enabled

The easiest way to do this is open Applications->Add/Remove and select "All Available Applications".

0.b. Make sure the mono-gmcs package is installed

This package installs the essential tools needed to write and run C# programs.

sudo aptitude install mono-gmcs

1. Compiling your first C# program

Copy & paste this code into a new file. Save the file as Main.cs

//First C# Program
using System;

namespace Main
{
class Welcome
{
public static void Main( string[] args )
{
Console.Write("Hello world\n");
}
}
}//Matching brace. Some people can't be pleased...

Open a terminal, go to the directory where you saved Main.cs, and type:

gmcs Main.csIf all went fine, nothing is printed and you get back to the shell. Now, run it:

mono Main.exe"Hello World!" gets printed in the terminal.

Explanations: gmcs is the C# compiler
obviously, Main means that the compiler must compile this file.
mono Main.exe runs the newly compiled executable.

2. Paranoid programming is good for your health!

Many beginners want to avoid compiler errors and warnings at any cost, which often leads them to ignore the "cryptic" messages the compiler outputs and to tinker anxiously with the relevant line until the error goes away.
Don't fall in that trap! The compiler is your friend, the messages it outputs are kind advices rather than punishments. You should really take the time to try and understand those messages, this is a very good way to improve your code's quality.

As a matter of fact, most seasoned programmers set the compiler's warning level as high as possible, so that it catches the little errors they make when they aren't paying much attention.

**Help needed** Post in thread to recommend content or deletion of this section.

3. Useful tips

**Help needed** Post in thread to recommend content or deletion of this section.

4. Read the manual!

Plain old manpage:

man gmcs
man mono

Naturally, the Documentation and Tutorial on the Mono project site http://www.mono-project.com/ are good to visit.

You can use any editor, but MonoDevelop (http://www.monodevelop.com/Main_Page) seems to be the IDE of choice for many C# programmers.

Thanks to so many people @UF for their very useful help, this FAQ wouldn't be the same without them. In particular, this thread is based on aks44's thread on C and C++ (see link in sticky). Not only is this thread based on it, it is blatently copying it, I hope he doesn't mind...

Kadrus
July 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Good Thread,this will help a lot of windows c# programmers(new comers) and Linux users that want to learn c# and are facing problems compiling,setting up an environment,etc.
Well Done.

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Good Thread,this will help a lot of windows c# programmers(new comers) and Linux users that want to learn c# and are facing problems compiling,setting up an environment,etc.
Well Done.

Thanks. You'll notice it is a rip off of the Java FAQ, which was a rip off of the C++ FAQ (which I didn't write).

I just changed a few names and commands, added a few sentences and it was done :-)

Kadrus
July 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Well still useful :-),although I don't code with C# :-P.But do some coding with F#.

era86
July 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
The compiler is your friend, the messages it outputs are kind advices rather than punishments. You should really take the time to try and understand those messages, this is a very good way to improve your code's quality.

Very well said. You should link to this in a sticky or sig. :guitar:

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Very well said. You should link to this in a sticky or sig. :guitar:

I didn't actually write it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=689635

Can+~
July 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
I'm not a C# expert, but:

//First C# Program
using System;

namespace Main
{ // <------ Where's the matching brace?
class Welcome
{
{
}
}

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'm not a C# expert, but:

Think you are clever, huh?

Adding brace and counter snipe comment :-)

Can+~
July 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Think you are clever, huh?

Adding brace and counter snipe comment :-)

No, actually I know crap about C#. I even though that you left it open because it was part of the notation.

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
No, actually I know crap about C#. I even though that you left it open because it was part of the notation.

Think Java (if you don't know Java, think C++).

As for it being part of the notation, it is technically, but if you want it to compile you should close it.

matyasfalvi
July 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Deleted ---

LaRoza
July 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Hi!

I am new to ubuntu and I am new to K&R C as well, I know it is gonna be hard but I have to learn it for school. I installed mono-gmcs as u said nevertheless I cannot compile my C program which I created using mcedit:[CODE]

Could u please help me out!

Thanx a lot!

C# != C ;)

See the sticky for C..

LaRoza
July 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hi!

I am new to ubuntu and I am new to K&R C as well, I know it is gonna be hard but I have to learn it for school. I installed mono-gmcs as u said nevertheless I cannot compile my C program which I created using mcedit:[CODE]

Could u please help me out!

Thanx a lot!

C# != C ;)

See the sticky for C.. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=689635

true_friend
July 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
It should be STICKY so every one can read and find it before posting such basic problems.

LaRoza
July 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
It should be STICKY so every one can read and find it before posting such basic problems.

The sticky links to it.

navneeth
June 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Why is this happening? :confused:

The following NEW packages will be installed
mono-gmcs
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 399kB of archives.
After this operation, 1167kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get: 1 http://in.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main mono-gmcs 2.0.1-4 [399kB]
Fetched 399kB in 3s (112kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package mono-gmcs.
(Reading database ... 121954 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mono-gmcs (from .../mono-gmcs_2.0.1-4_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up mono-gmcs (2.0.1-4) ...
navneeth@ubuntu:~$ gmcs Main.cs
The program 'gmcs' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install mono-devel
bash: gmcs: command not found

Zugzwang
June 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Why is this happening? :confused:

Because "mono-gmcs" only installs the "gmcs2" compiler executable (for version 2 and 3 of the language), "gmcs" is in mono-devel, as the notice told you.

Such information can easily be looked up at http://packages.ubuntu.com

navneeth
June 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks. I wonder if the first post should be edited to include this information?

directhex
June 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks. I wonder if the first post should be edited to include this information?

It probably should. Try leaving a note for the moderators to ask them to do it?

blwizard
October 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Holy **** I didn't know C# syntax is so similar to Java's. Is it derived from Java or?

directhex
October 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Holy **** I didn't know C# syntax is so similar to Java's. Is it derived from Java or?

Officially no. In reality, it's HEAVILY influenced by Java

bonefry
October 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM

It is heavily derived from Java, with influences from Delphi, C++ (more than Java) and Haskell (Linq was inspired from Haskell's monads, not surprisingly since Simon Peyton Jones works there).

shababhsiddique
January 10th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Working on the rest, post suggestions as well. I am not skilled or experienced in C#

So you're willing to write your own C# programs, or simply compile someone else's code? This guide will get you started...

This FAQ assumes you're trying to compile error-free code. To actually learn the C# languages, see the How to start programming (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333867) thread.

Also remember that although C# is now an ECMA standard, and mono and gmcs follow it (at this point, up to 2.0 fully), many popular libraries used by C# in Windows are not part of the standard.

0.a. Make sure the third party repositories are enabled

The easiest way to do this is open Applications->Add/Remove and select "All Available Applications".

0.b. Make sure the mono-gmcs package is installed

This package installs the essential tools needed to write and run C# programs.

sudo aptitude install mono-gmcs
1. Compiling your first C# program

Copy & paste this code into a new file. Save the file as Main.cs

//First C# Program
using System;

namespace Main
{
class Welcome
{
{
}
}
}//Matching brace. Some people can't be pleased...
Open a terminal, go to the directory where you saved Main.cs, and type:

gmcs Main.csIf all went fine, nothing is printed and you get back to the shell. Now, run it:

mono Main.exe"Hello World!" gets printed in the terminal.

Explanations:

gmcs is the C# compiler
obviously, Main means that the compiler must compile this file.
mono Main.exe runs the newly compiled executable.

2. Paranoid programming is good for your health!

Many beginners want to avoid compiler errors and warnings at any cost, which often leads them to ignore the "cryptic" messages the compiler outputs and to tinker anxiously with the relevant line until the error goes away.
Don't fall in that trap! The compiler is your friend, the messages it outputs are kind advices rather than punishments. You should really take the time to try and understand those messages, this is a very good way to improve your code's quality.

As a matter of fact, most seasoned programmers set the compiler's warning level as high as possible, so that it catches the little errors they make when they aren't paying much attention.

3. Useful tips

4. Read the manual!

Plain old manpage:

man gmcs
man monoNaturally, the Documentation and Tutorial on the Mono project site http://www.mono-project.com/ are good to visit.

You can use any editor, but MonoDevelop (http://www.monodevelop.com/Main_Page) seems to be the IDE of choice for many C# programmers.

Thanks to so many people @UF for their very useful help, this FAQ wouldn't be the same without them. In particular, this thread is based on aks44's thread on C and C++ (see link in sticky). Not only is this thread based on it, it is blatently copying it, I hope he doesn't mind...

Thats a very good tutorial.

piyush910
September 19th, 2012, 08:53 AM
well i am just a beginner to c# and the code that you have typed is giving me the following error...
error:Cannot open assembly 'a.cs': File does not contain a valid CIL image.

muteXe
September 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I don't code in c# on linux, but he wrote this in 2008. Maybe things (in terms of the compiler/mono etc) have changed slightly since then?
You might want to google a more up to date c# mono tutorial.

directhex
September 19th, 2012, 09:46 AM
well i am just a beginner to c# and the code that you have typed is giving me the following error...
error:Cannot open assembly 'a.cs': File does not contain a valid CIL image.

You're trying to execute source code. You need to compile source code, then execute the result.

Mohan1289
September 25th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Hello Guys

This is Mohana Krishna from India

I want to learn about Linux Shell Scripting and a Programming Language( I don't know which is Good for a Beginner and currently i am trying to learn JAVA and Scripting though i don't know them completely i am trying to solve the Logic by writing algorithms)..

Could you suggest me a language that's best for beginner

I will be very happy if you can Guide me with level by level tasks..

I saw the tasks LaRoza gave on Ubuntu Forums..

They Look Simple yet changeable...

I want to take challenges by step by step from Simple to complex i will be very happy if anyone can guide me through.

i tried to send a message to LaRoza since he gave the tasks but i think he refused to recieve Personal messages.

I tried to mail to his hotmail account. that too is refusing the mail.. I Don't know where to find him so i am posting here..

sisco311
September 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hello Guys

This is Mohana Krishna from India

I want to learn about Linux Shell Scripting and a Programming Language( I don't know which is Good for a Beginner and currently i am trying to learn JAVA and Scripting though i don't know them completely i am trying to solve the Logic by writing algorithms)..

Could you suggest me a language that's best for beginner

I will be very happy if you can Guide me with level by level tasks..

I saw the tasks LaRoza gave on Ubuntu Forums..

They Look Simple yet changeable...

I want to take challenges by step by step from Simple to complex i will be very happy if anyone can guide me through.

i tried to send a message to LaRoza since he gave the tasks but i think he refused to recieve Personal messages.

I tried to mail to his hotmail account. that too is refusing the mail.. I Don't know where to find him so i am posting here..

The OP is no longer a member of the Ubuntu Forums.

I don't code in c# on linux, but he wrote this in 2008. Maybe things (in terms of the compiler/mono etc) have changed slightly since then?
You might want to google a more up to date c# mono tutorial.

+1

Thread closed.