PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Hidden files still exist even after I remove the program

stellalie
July 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Hi, I'm new to linux, and I'm currently using Xubuntu: Hardy Heron.

I tried to install Tomboy (note-taking application) before with Synaptic, and find it unnecessary. So, I decided to remove it through Synaptic too.

However, I still notice hidden files in /Home folder by the name '.tomboy'. I was wondering:
1.) Synaptic is not uninstalled it properly? I tried '$ sudo aptitude purge tomboy' and those files still exist. Why?
2.) Is it safe to just drag & drop the whole folder to Trash bin?
3.) Is it going to happen to all other application?
4.) Is there any way to keep my computer clean and free from unnecessary files no matter how small they are?

Thanks beforehand!

Potatoj316
July 23rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
in synaptic did you say remove or completly remove?

irshadcharm
July 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Run

1) sudo apt-get clean
2) sudo apt-get autoremove

This will do your job..if the above doesnt work try to delete the tomboy folder from the home directory and give a restart...

Heinzelotto
July 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
sometimes you want to remove a program but not your custom settings for that program (think of a instant-messenger with saved logs). This is why Synaptic only removes the system-files when you perform a standard "remove"

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
You can delete the .tomboy folder.

Anything in your home directory can be deleted without affecting the system (however, you'd lose personal settings and data, but if you don't want it is doesn't matter). If you did delete a . directory and start the app, it would just create a default profile.

mali2297
July 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
1.) Synaptic is not uninstalled it properly? I tried '$ sudo aptitude purge tomboy' and those files still exist. Why?

Personal configuration files are not created when you install the program but when you first run it. Synaptic/apt-get/aptitude only removes the files that were added during the installation.

2.) Is it safe to just drag & drop the whole folder to Trash bin?

Yes.

3.) Is it going to happen to all other application?

Basically, yes.

4.) Is there any way to keep my computer clean and free from unnecessary files no matter how small they are?

I just remove them manually. I don't know of any automatic method.

stellalie
July 24th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Thanks guys!!

I just remove them manually. I don't know of any automatic method.

I guess currently solved my curiosity...

cardinals_fan
July 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
sudo aptitude purge *app*should work

dje
July 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
also try:

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge myapp

dje