PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Flash is sketchy, but videos play fine in media player

rockerphil
July 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
ok, i'm sure this question has been asked before, but if so i can't find it, and the title is pretty self explanitory, but first the basics of course. i'm running a minimal Ubuntu install built from the Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibon minimal ISO by installing a CLI first then installing the basics, using Fluxbox as my WM, ROX as my filer and several other light weight apps to create the DE, but now to my problem at hand. i find that when i watch a YouTube video or any other online video of the like it's very sketchy, but if i play a video from my hard drive in say VLC it plays fine with no skip jumps or lags. i'm wondering if i need to update my flashplugin-nonfree package, but the terminal says it's the latest version already, so i'm kicking this one to you good folks for suggestions, much thanks in advance,

Phil

collinp
July 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
The flash player, up til recently, has not been supported well for Linux. The situation has improved with Flash Player 10, I tested the beta and it seems to run faster, but whites turn negative in some places and it cant handle multiple flash objects well.

rockerphil
July 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
much appreciated info, i'll give Flash player 10 a shot and get back to ya

----------------
Now playing: Guns N Roses - Sweet Child of Mine (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/guns+n+roses/track/sweet+child+of+mine)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

collinp
July 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Remember, it is still a beta program, so if you find a bug submit it. It can crash Firefox easily, some of the whites turn negative, but it is faster than Flash 9.

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
I use it (Flash 10 beta 2) in Opera, and it works ok.

nekorbin
September 13th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I'm interested in other users take on how the flash 10 beta has helped with this problem in Firefox 3. Any opinions?

SunnyRabbiera
September 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I'm interested in other users take on how the flash 10 beta has helped with this problem in Firefox 3. Any opinions?

For me I notice little change between flash 9 and 10, never had issues.