PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Shrink replacement on Ubuntu?

Vicfred
July 23rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
I'm looking for an application like DVD Shrink, its used to compress dual layer dvds into a single layer dvd to backup.

iaculallad
July 23rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
I'm looking for an application like DVD Shrink, its used to compress dual layer dvds into a single layer dvd to backup.

DVDShrink can work in Ubuntu with WinE. Check this Ubuntu Community Link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DVDShrink).

ardchoille42
July 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
I use xdvdshrink (http://dvdshrink.sourceforge.net/) and it works great, no need for wine.

bryncoles
July 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
you can also use k9copy (its in the repos) to reduce dvd's to their iso files, and then burn them back to dvd's using brasero or k3b.

or just watch the iso's on your computer, as vlc player will play them like they're any other media file!

dont worry about k9copy and k3b being kde apps - i use them on my gnome desktop all the time, they integrate seemlessly!

Darbre
August 18th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I use xdvdshrink (http://dvdshrink.sourceforge.net/) and it works great, no need for wine.
Clicking the XDVDShrink link above goes to a page that is concerned with Mandrake. 1. Isn't that another flavor of Linux, and 2, will it work with Heron "out of the box"or will I have to tinker with it?

Thanks

Darbre

oldos2er
August 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Don't know about DVD Shrink, but I've used both k9copy and xdvdshrink and they both work well.

pparks1
August 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Another k9copy user here myself.

sleepingdragon
August 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Personally, I stick to the Windows version of DVDShrink under WINE. Whilst I'm a big fan of Linux native software, the Windows version is just a really good piece of software with a sensible interface. Shame there isn't a native version.

Bloch
August 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I want to revive this thread before it goes cold.

I have Hardy Heron and my system works fine in general.

xdvdshrink keeps crashing for me. I was not able to get it to work.

k9copy began to work and crashed - it crashes very easily on my system. Finally it ran for 3 hours before crashing. It had not been able to do the final step of combining the ripped files to an mpeg. However I am able to play the individual files with names like VTS_10_0.VOB VTS_11_0.VOB etc.
It's a DVD of ten or eleven Monty Python episodes.

That's my experience of backing up DVD's.

If anyone has a tried and trusted way of saving DVDs to the hard drive - doesn't matter whether full size or compressed - please tell me how you do it.

sdowney717
August 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM
k9 copy works fine for me. It creates an .iso file. I dont do anything with stripping to mpeg features.

You can play .iso files with VLC player or write it to a DVD using k3b.

Bloch
August 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I will try making an iso this time.

The VOB files mentioned below looked OK at first, but sound quickly got out of synch and/or (depending on the player - I tried VLC, Totem, mplayer) the video skipped or froze.

Now to try the iso.