PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Icons disappearing with Nvidia graphics card

bainesmg
July 23rd, 2008, 05:13 AM
I hope someone can help me here.

Whenever I enable the restricted drivers for my Nvidia card things work ok whilst i'm signed in. The next time I boot up my icons and menu on the top bar have disappeared. This has happened every time i've tried to enable the drivers. The only way i've found round this is to re-install Ubuntu via the CD. As you can imagine its a bit frustrating. Currently i'm using Ubuntu without the graphics card driver enabled.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ad_267
July 23rd, 2008, 05:26 AM
Can you just add them to the top bar again? Right click on the bar and select "Add to Panel," then just add all the stuff you need again and hopefully it will stick when you log out and back in again.

If the whole bar has disappeared you can right click on the bottom bar and select "New Panel."

bainesmg
July 23rd, 2008, 05:37 AM
Can you just add them to the top bar again? Right click on the bar and select "Add to Panel," then just add all the stuff you need again and hopefully it will stick when you log out and back in again.

If the whole bar has disappeared you can right click on the bottom bar and select "New Panel."

Thanks for the prompt response but the system doesn't let me do anything. It just displays a blank top bar, a blank bottom bar and my wallpaper.

ad_267
July 23rd, 2008, 05:54 AM
If you press alt-f2 do you get a dialog to run applications?

If you do can you run gnome-terminal then can you try running "killall gnome-panel && gnome-panel" and "nautilus"