PDA

View Full Version : [other] Need step by step on how to build my new computer.

PsychedelicWonders
July 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
hey guys, I placed my order, it should be here in a couple of days.

So now I need to figure out how to put everything together and in what order.

I've fiddle with a couple of computers by taking them apart... so I kinda understand how everything snaps and clicks in.

But I have also been told if you put it together wrong you can fry the mobo... def want to avoid this.

parts list:

mobo
processor
ram
dvd drive via IDE
2 HDD via SATA
power supply
video card
sound card
17-1 card reader via internal usb i believe?

So what is the proper way to put together all of my compents?

Then I also plan on partitioning a single hard drive to put windows and ubuntu on it.

I know to put windows on first... but how exactly do you partition and install the OS during 1st bootup?

ProbablyX
July 23rd, 2008, 02:19 AM
The part in which you assemble stuff all depends on how they fit etc. I put togeather a computer today, and had to connect and then disconnect and connect again cables just because I forgot to put another cable in etc. That's normal. Kinda trial and error.

However, I'd (and that's just me) would probably go for it in this order, if you feel like doing it my way:

mobo (as you'll want to have something to work with, you can also assemble the mobo at a table and then put it in if your case is small, but I feel that its smoother to put it in right away as youll be moving cables etc)

processor - as the processor is the smallest and slimmest thing, and of course because its the "heart". Don't forget to plug the cooler in, put it in right after you connect the CPU.

ram - is kinda popp-in-and-be-done
video card - move down and plug the gfx card in, it should say "pop!" when its stuck.
sound card - same as above

Now open up the motherboard and find the page with a layout of connectors. Connect the cables in the case to the correct ports (see the manuals layout page to find the ports)
Connect the "17-1 card reader via internal usb i believe" to a USB port on the mobo.

Put the PSU in last, as its big and takes up space. Connect it to the mainboard itself, then to a certain port near the CPU.
If your graphics card requires power from the PSU plug it in.
Then connect the harddrives and CD-rom power.

Remember to follow the manuals and instructions. I'm only describing "How I'd do it". Dont trust me blindly, as said follow the manuals and ask here if youre unsure. Just take my views as a pointer, nothing more.

Good luck!

PsychedelicWonders
July 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Seems pretty basic. Thanks.

But I've heard horror stories of frying your mobo... what do people do wrong to make this occur?

Also you said...

processor - as the processor is the smallest and slimmest thing, and of course because its the "heart". Don't forget to plug the cooler in, put it in right after you connect the CPU.

the "cooler = the fan right?

CPU = the actual processor?

evets25
July 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Well, if your case is metal, make sure that the mobo isn't sitting directly on the metal case. There are usually little screw-holes that are slightly raised up, which is where the mobo is supposed to be mounted. Sometimes these are even plastic. This raises it up slightly and protects it from randomn shocks and static and whatnot. Also, beware of static electricity, especially when handling the mobo, ram, CPU and video card. Some people like to get a little static-wrist thingy that attaches to the floor, thereby grounding you and preventing static, but usually I find just taking of my shoes and socks is enough. Or alternatively, some people have been known to only put computers together while entirely naked. No clothes, no static. ^.^ Of course, this probably isn't necessary, but it *would* entirely prevent the possibility of static frying your mobo...

A few other things I've learned from experience: be very, VERY careful with the CPU, especially the pins. Don't bend them, don't touch them, don't even breathe on them. Seriously. Only take it out of the package when you are about to place it in the mobo. Also, make sure the ram is in tight, and everything clicks in to place. Same with the video card. Oh, and as a precaution, don't plug in the power until everything is assembled.

And yes, cooler = fan, and CPU = processor.

tamoneya
July 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
here is order I always use.
1. Take motherboard and place it in th case. Do not install it we are just checking to make sure the standoffs are in the right places.
2. Remove the mother board and install CPU, Heatsink, RAM. The reason behind this is that some heatsinks need to be installed with some hardware on the back side of the motherboard. Even for the ones that dont I still do this because it is cramped inside the case and it is easier to work with it outside. As for the RAM I do it now because its small and it doesnt really matter but it is a little simpler without the case.
3. prepare the case by placing all the harddrives, CD drives and your card reader
4. Install motherboard
5. Install PSU
6. Install graphics card and any other PCI devices.
7. Connect power cables to everything (zip ties are your friends)
8. Connect up any remaining sata cables and cables to the front panel.

PsychedelicWonders
July 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Alright guys, sounds easy enough.

Funny thing is, there was a good chance I would have put it together naked... and now this is just a better incentive to do so! haha what can i say... im a werido!

Now what about partitioning hard drives and installing the OS at 1st boot up?

Also, where can i get the cheapest copy of windows XP at? It can be new or used for all I care, as long as its legit.

Potatoj316
July 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Well you dont have to install windows first but it does make it a little easier. Just put you CD in and make sure the bios is set to boot from CD before HD or anything else.

Your also going to have trouble finding a new copy of XP and I dont know if you can get a "used" copy "legally" as in not violating their license agreement.

PsychedelicWonders
July 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
I called around, you can get XP for 109, yet Vista is 120, so if I'm spending that much money, might as well get Vista.

The next version of Vista is 180 or something and he said it only allows more admin features. So that higher price tag doesnt appeal to me.

I thought I could get a copy of XP for like 30 bucks since Vista is out. So I dont even know if I'm going to buy windows right now - its just not in the budget.

So Ubuntu is going to be it for a while.

I do have a brand new copy of XP that I just bought as a replacement for my Dell... can I install that on this computer... or are those Dell copies specially registered to only boot up on a Dell computer via some encrypted key somewhere in their hardware?

But how do I set bios at 1st boot... is that the 1st screen I will be prompted with? Or do I have to hit F9 like 38948 times?

evets25
July 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
As for buying a legit copy of windows XP, you can't. Microsoft has screwed you over, because it's no longer being sold by itself. So... good luck with that. I can't suggest any other means of getting a copy, because that would be against the forum rules, so don't ask, and then I won't have to answer. :)

If you are going to be dual-booting, install XP first, then ubuntu. There are a myriad of how-to's scattered about the internets, I suggest you look at any one of a thousand different sites detailing how to do this, and explaining it far better than I ever could. :)

If the whole idea of partitioning is slightly new, and/or freaky to you, then I just suggest something simple: one partition for windows, one (small partition for swap (depending on the amount of ram you have), and one partition for "/" (the root filesystem for linux). IMHO, partitioning is about 90% preference and taste.

Flyingjester
July 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/build-a-computer.htm new egg carries xp for 90 bucks.

PsychedelicWonders
July 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
As for buying a legit copy of windows XP, you can't. Microsoft has screwed you over, because it's no longer being sold by itself. So... good luck with that. I can't suggest any other means of getting a copy, because that would be against the forum rules, so don't ask, and then I won't have to answer. :)

If you are going to be dual-booting, install XP first, then ubuntu. There are a myriad of how-to's scattered about the internets, I suggest you look at any one of a thousand different sites detailing how to do this, and explaining it far better than I ever could. :)

If the whole idea of partitioning is slightly new, and/or freaky to you, then I just suggest something simple: one partition for windows, one (small partition for swap (depending on the amount of ram you have), and one partition for "/" (the root filesystem for linux). IMHO, partitioning is about 90% preference and taste.

Why would I search the internet for thousands of other websites, when I'm on the forum of the main OS I am using? And everyone here knows how to do what I'm asking for the most part?

That just doesnt make sense.

And I already said I called a local computer shop that is selling it for 109, but vista for 120.

PsychedelicWonders
July 23rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Also, I'm not asking if it is legal or not, because I'm sure, through somehow, through some loophole, it is isnt, but...

Will the dell copy of XP work on a non-dell computer?

Hypothetically of course.

Or is there a special key encryption somewhere in dell hardware that registers their "dell version" of XP?

tamoneya
July 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
if by the dell copy of xp you mean the one installed on a current XP computer the answer is no. Those copies are OEM and are "linked" with the motherboard. If you change the motherboard windows wont validate the install. Just buy from newegg for $90-100

soxs
July 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Make sure you get a big case where you actuall can work in. Plugging that nasty pluggers with tools doesn't reall make fun...

kerry_s
July 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
important! don't forget to ground yourself before touching any electronics, just touch the screws on your light switch and you'll be good to go, always touch the case before your reach for the mb. if your going to be messing around inside the system a lot grab a anti-static wrist strap. i've had plenty a friends ruin brand new stuff just wanting to get it done fast, they don't laugh at me now when i break out my kit and put the wrist strap on first. :lolflag:

PsychedelicWonders
July 23rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
if by the dell copy of xp you mean the one installed on a current XP computer the answer is no. Those copies are OEM and are "linked" with the motherboard. If you change the motherboard windows wont validate the install. Just buy from newegg for $90-100

No the copy I have was not the original given to me with my computer - I lost that one and bought another one for $30 from my local computer store.

I got if for $30 because it was for a dell and they have a contract with microsoft obviously.

So hypothetically, this copy wont work on any other computer because it "links" up when you first install it to some type of key code on the dell mobo?

tamoneya
July 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
most likely it is OEM especially if you managed to get it for that cheap.

OEM = wont work
retail = may work

the "key" that it links with is the serial number of the motherboard.

PsychedelicWonders
July 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
How can I tell if it is OEM?

I was told it was that cheap since it was just a replacement for a dell OS system... thats just the deal they have worked out I suppose.

The computer I have from dell is literally 10 years old... there is no way they could have the serial number from a mobo keyed in the windows software from 10 years ago... could they?

tamoneya
July 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
if its windows XP then yes the probably do. Give it a try though it couldnt hurt to put the thing in and type in the product key. If it doesnt work the order from newegg and wait a couple days.

PsychedelicWonders
July 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM
At what point do I partition the hard drives for the two separate OS?

evets25
July 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM
First you install winXP, and it just takes over the whole drive. Next, you install ubuntu, and at the partitioning step, can decide how much you want to shrink the windows partition by, add new partitions, and cater to your whims. :)

stchman
July 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM
hey guys, I placed my order, it should be here in a couple of days.

So now I need to figure out how to put everything together and in what order.

I've fiddle with a couple of computers by taking them apart... so I kinda understand how everything snaps and clicks in.

But I have also been told if you put it together wrong you can fry the mobo... def want to avoid this.

parts list:

mobo
processor
ram
dvd drive via IDE
2 HDD via SATA
power supply
video card
sound card
17-1 card reader via internal usb i believe?

So what is the proper way to put together all of my compents?

Then I also plan on partitioning a single hard drive to put windows and ubuntu on it.

I know to put windows on first... but how exactly do you partition and install the OS during 1st bootup?

From a system assembly standpoint I do the following:

- Place mobo on the static mat that comes in mobo bock (looks like foam).
- Install CPU and fan on mobo.
- Install RAM
- Set any jumpers if needed although new mobos are all soft menu.
- Make sure all mobo standoffs are in proper position in case.
- Install back plate in case for mobo.
- Install optical drives in case.
- Install hard drive in case.
- Install power supply in case if not included.
- Install mobo in case.
- Once mobo is properly fastened into case then you can hook up panel. You will need mobo manual and flashlight. Make sure you get the polarity correct for the LEDs.
- Connect all SATA and IDE cables to the appropriate drives and mobo connectors.
- Install video, sound, ethernet PCI cards, etc.
- Install card reader in 3.5 drive bay and connect the reader to a USB header. It should be keyed.
- Hook up power from power supply to devices and mobo.

After that you should be ready to power the system up. make sure you have read the manuals carefully.

Remember you cannot hook the wrong power connector to the wrong device as they are all keyed to go in a certain way. NEVER force a connector.

If system powers up then you can do some cleanup work by zip tie for wires.

I hope this helps.