PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Before I requested an Ubuntu CD I have a question

Zieg30CT
July 22nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
I wanted to make sure I requested the correct desktop edition of Ubuntu, so I need something cleared up.

Since my desktop computer is an AMD Athlon 64 I should request the 64-bit version of the Ubuntu desktop right? However the operating system, after right-clicking computer and clicking on properties, says it is a 32-bit operating system. I'm guessing that is because the OS I have on there now is Windows Vista Home Premium.

I hope someone can help clear this up so I can enjoy Ubuntu in 6-10 weeks.

northern lights
July 22nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
You can run either version on your machine. It'd be advisable though to go with the 64bit, since your processor supports it.

The opposite is not the case - would you have a 32bit CPU, the 64bit release would not run...

Zieg30CT
July 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
I see then thank you for clearing that up.

Troll_the_Great
July 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Don't you have internet access?If you do, you can download an image of Ubuntu, burn it to a disk and you are good to go.
If you don't have internet access, it will be pretty difficult because you will need updates, bug fixes,codecs, drivers and so on...

yragrelluf
July 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
Microsoft will supply 32 bit vista to the computer retailers, but they make you pay a bunch of money for the 64 bit. Definitely use the 64 bit ubuntu, it is incredible!

sdowney717
July 23rd, 2008, 12:22 AM
how is 64bit ubuntu better than 32 bit ubuntu?
And
I seem to recall something about flash, there is no 64 bit flash.
Can you run 32 bit flash on a 64 bit system?

Joeb454
July 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
It can run a little quicker. Flash doesn't seem to be a problem for me anymore (it installed fine). I won't go into the details of how it does, as it's all done automatically.

If you're unsure, just go for the 32 bit version, chances are you won't notice much of a difference :)

a0u
July 23rd, 2008, 12:52 AM
how is 64bit ubuntu better than 32 bit ubuntu?
And
I seem to recall something about flash, there is no 64 bit flash.
Can you run 32 bit flash on a 64 bit system?

64-bit gives a slight edge in video editing and other intensive tasks. Community Docs (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit) has a useful page on 32-bit vs 64-bit.

Unlike Windows, which is predominantly 32-bit (thus, 64-bit applications are harder to obtain), virtually all software packages in Ubuntu are available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. In case you have something that is only in 32-bit (e.g., Flash), you can install 32-bit libraries to provide compatibility.

I hope you will enjoy using Ubuntu. :)