PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! Read-Only File System

evlutn
July 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Help Me Ubuntu Community!

Yesterday, my girlfriend accidentally turned off our laptop in the middle of an update and when it restarted it said it could not login to X. I ran sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg but it freezes. When I go the the terminal on recovery mode, it keeps saying that the file system is read-only. I ran e2fsck and fsck using the live CD and no errors are reported. I also ran the file system check on the partition manager on the live CD and it didn't help either.

I have been able to fix the problems I've encountered since I've been using Ubuntu but I haven't found an answer to this problem. How can I fix this? I have a few important things on the drive that I need. Has anyone had this same problem and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks for your help,

Angel
Loyal User of Ubuntu since May 2006

Potatoj316
July 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
if you use a live cd you probably can mount the drive and copy the needed files to some removable storage. have you tried

sudo dpkg --configure -a

bumanie
July 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg has been updated to the easier to remember
xfixTry that instead - it only applies to hardy, previous versions use the former command you already used. Or see if there are broken packages.

evlutn
July 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Potatoj316, my first reaction was to just copy the files I need and just reinstall the OS but when I tried, it says I don't have permission to open the home folder and it has a locked icon on it. I forgot to say but I did also try sudo dpkg --configure -a as well as sudo apt-get -f install and neither have helped.

Bumaine, I didn't know anything about xfix, so I'll give that a shot and see if it works.

Anything else I can try, just in case xfix doesn't work?

By the way, when I ran sudo aptitude safe-upgrade and sudo dhclient wlan0, it keeps telling me that nothing is being permanently done/written because the file system is read-only.

bumanie
July 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Got no idea if it'll work or not - was just letting you know that xfix has superceeded sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. I guess you will have to run xfix as root. I doubt it will fix the filesystem.

evlutn
July 24th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Hey all,

So I didn't really fix the problem but I was able to get the files I needed by installing Hardy 8.04.1 on the unused space on the hard-drive. That gave me access to the files I needed. I gave it a shot to see if it would work and it did, though I still can't access that portion of the drive if I try to boot into it but so what. I got my files and that's all I needed and I reinstalled the OS.

Angel