PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Basic Question: Gedit and Ctrl-V

kneewax
July 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Here is a simple one, why won't gedit let you use ctrl-v as a keyboard short cut to paste code? I know the ctrl-v shortcut was originally a Windoze one, and it might upset purests, but these days most apps, on any platform use the recognised shortcuts. Why not Gedit, it's make life so much easier for those of us who migrated from Windoze....

tech0007
July 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Ctrl-C (copy) and Ctrl-V (paste) on my ubuntu work. Check your keyboard layout in preferences menu.

dracayr
July 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
I can use Ctrl+V in gedit..

What your problem could be, is that data in the clipboard is deleted once the source application is closed

dracayr

bapoumba
July 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Here is a simple one, why won't gedit let you use ctrl-v as a keyboard short cut to paste code? I know the ctrl-v shortcut was originally a Windoze one, and it might upset purests, but these days most apps, on any platform use the recognised shortcuts. Why not Gedit, it's make life so much easier for those of us who migrated from Windoze....
ctrl-v works in gedit. Are you talking about the terminal (use shift-ctrl-c and shift-ctrl-v in terminal).

ja660k
July 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
yeah, Ctrl-V works in gedit for me

and in a bunch of other programs aswell
it just wont work in terminal

kneewax
July 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
you're right I meant terminal :oops::oops: (boy do I feel stupid!) I must have had a brain freeze when typing....

I just looked at the terminal seetings and I see you can change the shortcuts to whatever you want. Is there a reason why I shouldn't change it to ctrl-V?

Dr Small
July 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
you're right I meant terminal :oops::oops: (boy do I feel stupid!) I must have had a brain freeze when typing....

I just looked at the terminal seetings and I see you can change the shortcuts to whatever you want. Is there a reason why I shouldn't change it to ctrl-V?
Use:

CTRL + SHIFT + v

ja660k
July 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
I dont see why not... ctrl-c & v arnt being used by the app so go for it

bapoumba
July 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM

Nope, ctrl-c has a special meaning in the terminal (it stops the current process) so copy/paste is shift-ctrl-c/shift-ctrl-v.

ja660k
July 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
oh my, yes thats right... that does come in handy
:oops::oops:

bapoumba
July 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
No problem.

If copy pasting from an application to the terminal, highlight and middle click works too :)