PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] running game-is wine or virtual machine better?

silverslyph
July 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I really just want to run the sims 2,

Which of the two is the better option? Running with wine, or a virtual machine, i have experience using a virtual maching but will have to learn both on the fly, wondering which is better to invest my time in?

Pretty new, use the gui to do most everything, don't know many command codes, but am good at figuring it out.

-after 2 two days of research, i finally discover wine doesn't support sims 2 after i post.

andrewt522
July 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
As a new user myself, I just started working with VirtualBox two days ago and seem to be pretty happy with it. It's pretty easy to set up and get going. That said, I haven't installed or run any games yet as I just got my controller working last night, but the way things are going, I'm rather confident I'll do just fine. As for Wine, I haven't played with it that much as it is a little more intimidating to me.

That's my two cents.

bumanie
July 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Vm's generally do not support gpu 3d acceleration - games on vm's are not really an option. Use wine or cedega (small monthly cost for cedega). Vbox uses the 'basic' vesa driver that does not support 3d acceleration.

koji042
July 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Well according to Wine's Application Database, the Sims 2 doesn't seem to work at all in Wine (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=1942).

As for virtual machines, I've heard that VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/) has some 3d support in their virtual machines. Still, you're probably better off dual booting Windows and Linux. 3d GPU support in most VMs are nonexistent or buggy at best.

Hope that helped.

tech0007
July 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Vm's generally do not support gpu 3d acceleration - games on vm's are not really an option. Use wine or cedega (small monthly cost for cedega). Vbox uses the 'basic' vesa driver that does not support 3d acceleration.

or dualboot.

flytripper
July 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
/signed Bumanie