PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] thunar file explore slow

padeco
July 22nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
hi there,

i am having quite an issue in xubuntu with thunar. i open the file manager and it takes a very very long time to open my files. i have hard drive partition and an external usb hard drive.

it recognizes all drives and partitions no worries. however, once i click to access a folder in the usb hard drive, it just sits there for a long time. it eventually opens. it seems to have to scan all files every time i open the thunar file manager.

if anyone has any idea or experienced a similar issue please let me know, any help and suggestion will be appreciated.

regards,
padeco

jimmy the saint
July 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
what kind of external hd? freeagent drives, for example, dont play nice with linux. It used to be that brand didn't really matter for this kind of thing, but apparently seagate has gone out of its way to be a pain in the butt. I dont know about other brands though.

padeco
July 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
hi jimmy,
thanks for that, but i don't think it is related to the external usb. my second hard drive (internal) is also slow. when i was running ubuntu 7.04 and later 8.04 everything was working fine under nautilus. so i am not sure what is going on.