PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How do I change themes?

keiichidono
July 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
I am in the Xubuntu 8.04 LiveCD right now and I want to find out how to change my theme like with the Appearances program in Ubuntu. I find Xubuntu to be much faster and Flash works much better in it so I'm thinking of switching. I just need to know how to change themes and some other minor stuff and I'll be ready to decide. Thanks for the help!

perlluver
July 22nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
It is under settings>user interface and window manager settings.

keiichidono
July 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
I'm not seeing anything like that anywhere. Any more ideas?

perlluver
July 22nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
I changed the info, above settings>user interface and window manager settings.

keiichidono
July 22nd, 2008, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I saw that there. What that tool doesn't allow me to do is add my own from a tar.gz file. I downloaded a few off of xfce-look and gnome-look and I want to use them. If you have instructions on how to change icons too that would be a big help.

The Tronyx
July 22nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah, I saw that there. What that tool doesn't allow me to do is add my own from a tar.gz file.

Have you tried dragging and dropping the tar.gz file into the tool itself?

perlluver
July 22nd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Change icons or install them? To change them, they are under user interface settings>icons.

keiichidono
July 22nd, 2008, 06:48 AM
Have you tried dragging and dropping the tar.gz file into the tool itself?
Yup, that was the first thing that came ot mind. Didn't work though.

Change icons or install them? To change them, they are under user interface settings>icons.
Install them, sorry if the title was misleading.

perlluver
July 22nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=440150 try that for the icons.

perlluver
July 22nd, 2008, 06:54 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=227416&highlight=xfce+theme&page=2 and try this for the themes.

keiichidono
July 22nd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the links, I'll try them later. Even though Flash works better in Xubuntu I don't think I can deal with so much trouble just to change the themes. I'll probably stick with Ubuntu.

RyanVanDiemen
July 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hey, Calvin B, well, I used to run Gnome for some time and recently switched to Xfce and you can easily change theme by unpacking the tar.gz file and moving the folder to your .theme folder in your home directory. I used to do the same while using Gnome so no changes for me (installing them via install button didn`t used to work very often). You can install icons by moving the unpacked folder to your .icons folder. After that you will see these themes in "User interface" section of your "Settings".

SunnyRabbiera
July 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
There is no real theme installer for xfce like in gnome, wish there was.
You have to install icon and desktop themes the hard way.

keiichidono
July 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
That's a pain, if I didn't have to then I would seriously consider getting rid of Ubuntu in favor of Xubuntu because it doesn't use PulseAudio and it's much faster. I guess I'm too accustomed to GNOME and it's ease of use. :D