PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gaim and webcam

buckrah
July 22nd, 2008, 04:05 AM
I am having trouble receiving video feed through GAIM. I am using Fiesty Fawn. I am a newbie so please answer accordingly.

Thanks for any help

Inxsible
July 22nd, 2008, 04:31 AM
Webcam support in Feisty is not so great. You may find that your webcam may work in Ekiga.

I would advise you to upgrade to Hardy Heron and then see if your webcam works. Honestly, Hardy has a bunch of upgrades to lots of software - but I am not sure if webcam support is one of them.

Although I was successful in making my webcam work with Kopete under Gusty and Hardy

loell
July 22nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
you can use kopete in fiesty to recieve webcam feed with either Yahoo or Msn contacts.

buckrah
July 22nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the help. When I log into synaptic it gives me an error message. Any ideas?

loell
July 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
do tell what the error message is

buckrah
July 22nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
E: dkpg was interupted you must manually run 'dkpg--to configure-a' to correct the problem

E:_cache->open() failed, please report

Inxsible
July 22nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
E: dkpg was interupted you must manually run 'dkpg--to configure-a' to correct the problem

E:_cache->open() failed, please reportDo exactly what the error tells you to. Open up a terminal and run this command
sudo dpkg --configure -a

buckrah
July 22nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Ok, now here's where I reveal how new I am: How do I open a terminal?

Inxsible
July 22nd, 2008, 05:14 AM
Ok, now here's where I reveal how new I am: How do I open a terminal?
If you are using Gnome -- its under

Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal

buckrah
July 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
cut and pasted the command in the terminal and it said "command not found" any ideas?

Inxsible
July 22nd, 2008, 05:22 AM
cut and pasted the command in the terminal and it said "command not found" any ideas?That's not right !!

are you sure you copy pasted correctly?

a0u
July 22nd, 2008, 05:22 AM
EDIT: Looks like Inxsible has corrected the command.