PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Mounting to /

rockstarrem
July 22nd, 2008, 03:58 AM
Hello guys,

I've seen around the forums people have a /home partition amongst others. I have 1 partition mounted to "/" and was wondering if I'm all set or if I'm losing anything by not having that "/home" partition. Sorry for the noob question, I'm learning slowly!

jordanmthomas
July 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
The advantage to having a separate partition mounted to /home is this: say you want to reinstall Ubuntu. The way you've got it set up, it would require you to backup all your settings and files (in /home/yourname) to some other partition, reinstall, and then put them back in place.

If you were to have /home as another partition, you could reinstall and have your settings back immediately upon reinstallation. Also, if you boot many distros at once, you can share your home directory between them and always have the same setup.

Having a separate /home is nice, but not necessary. I don't do it this way.

rockstarrem
July 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
Ah, I see! Is it easy to mount your old /home and overwrite it etc? Is there instructions somewhere?

Thanks!

tamoneya
July 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM
no need to make a separate home partition except when installing. No real need to do it once you are already installed. I think in addition to what was already mentioned above it can also help during boot times since it is quicker to mount smaller partitions. Therefore mounting / is quicker since the partition is smaller.

rockstarrem
July 22nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Alright, thanks! I hope this helps someone else out too, I'll make another topic for my next question. You learn something new every hour :P.

jordanmthomas
July 22nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Ah, I see! Is it easy to mount your old /home and overwrite it etc? Is there instructions somewhere?

Thanks!

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

This is a semi-old guide, but should still work.
Just a few differences, like when you boot off the Ubuntu liveCD, you don't have to install gparted or ntfsprogs and your current install may already be mounted for you.

Be sure you understand what you're doing before you do it, of course.

jordanmthomas
July 22nd, 2008, 04:13 AM
it is quicker to mount smaller partitions.
I did not know this. Any proof or links explaining why perhaps?

tamoneya
July 22nd, 2008, 04:22 AM
I followed this guide by K.Mandla: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/05/04/howto-set-up-hardy-for-speed/

It was part way through that is said smaller partitions mount quicker.