PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] can't get to desktop

Joshfan
July 22nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
I installed unbuntu a few days ago and then got all the updates, but i noticed that you could upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 and when i did that it stuck at 13 minuets so i rebooted and know I can not access the desktop. how do i remove the upgrade, i put a lot of work into my desk top getting it set up how do i save it. i am running on the live cd right know.

tuxxy
July 22nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Can you not open a ttyl at boot by pressing alt ctrl F1?

startx

Should load up gnome

Joshfan
July 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
at start up i hit options at bottom left and chose gnome, it went to it and it showed the new desktop for 8.04 but it will not let me connect to internet and will not load the network or let me change the screen resolution. i think i should have stayed with 7.10 untill i got better with ubuntu.

rockstarrem
July 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Well, my best advice is to just upgrade to 8.04 via the disc and forget the old installation. You'll have a new fresh and fun installation for you to screw with :).

Joshfan
July 22nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
i guess so, but i hat to have to reenstall it.

rockstarrem
July 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
Think of it as a new start. I had to reinstall my OS FIVE TIMES today because I screwed up every time. Vista/Ubuntu every time, so 10 OS installs really. If you think it sucks now, trust me, it doesn't ;).

Joshfan
July 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I fell you, i bet that did suck on the reinstall's i guess i will not complain, any way i got it installed again and it is working well, i got it set up and have learned never to upgrade that way again.