PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] how do i change that panel icon thingie thats the ubuntu symbol?

jimi_hendrix
July 22nd, 2008, 01:05 AM
so i m customizing my ubuntu desktop

iv alrdy changed the windows and im looking for a good backgroud (but thats not the point)

the theme i downloaded (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Cobra?content=58699) and it comes with instructions that have been helpful except theres a spot where it gets confusing

i removed the things on the panel at the top and added a new menu (a start menu with no text) but the instructions dont explain very well how to change the image from the ubuntu logo to the picture from the theme

help please

btw if u know about any nice backgrouds that would go with the theme please post links

thanks

:guitar:

perlluver
July 22nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
That looks like the tango icon theme. You just change your icons to tango, or the icon theme that came with the theme.

jimi_hendrix
July 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
i love how responsive this forum is...

how do i do that?

and off topic how do i get one of those signiture thingies

mc4100
July 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
You can change this in "gconf-editor", under

Apps -> Panel -> Objects -> Object_1
(Check, as yours might be different, that the "tooltip" has the value "Main Menu", if it doesn't then check the different Objects like 2,3,4 etc, until you find one which has the "Main Menu" tooltip)
Tick use custom icon
Set the "custom icon" value to the path of the icon you want.

jimi_hendrix
July 22nd, 2008, 01:33 AM
uhh i dont have an application thing...i changed it to a single main menu to go along with the theme and when i click that i dont see a panel thing

mc4100
July 22nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
uhh i dont have an application thing...i changed it to a single main menu to go along with the theme and when i click that i dont see a panel thing
Sorry, I wasn't clear, you misunderstand: I wasn't talking about a menu entry -- although I think, while not shown by default, gconf-editor *does* have one (Under, Applications -> System Tools)
Anyway... Just press, Alt+F2, and type:

gconf-editor
Then follow the previous instructions. ;)

jimi_hendrix
July 22nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
ty soooooo much

lhb1142
July 22nd, 2008, 01:56 AM
This is my favorite Ubuntu Desktop Background. Of course there are lots more.

http://technology.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/16274/

Just download it, move it to "Pictures" (you may want to create a folder in "Pictures" called, for example, "Ubuntu Backgrounds"), go to System->Preferences->Appearance->Background. Click < + Add > and then browse for your downloaded background file in your "Pictures." When you find it, just "open" it - this adds it to your Backgrounds and sets it as your background- this is straightforward. Other backgrounds can be downloaded and added just as easily. Though I haven't tried it, I believe you could make any suitable .jpg picture your background.

You can do something similar to change your "Login" page if you have one.

I hope this is of some use to you.

perlluver
July 22nd, 2008, 01:58 AM
i love how responsive this forum is...

how do i do that?

and off topic how do i get one of those signiture thingies

To get the signature, go to the user CP and, edit your profile, and signature.

jimi_hendrix
July 22nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
ok ty and one last thing...whats an emrald theme manager and how do i get there...then shiney thank you's to u all

mc4100
July 22nd, 2008, 02:22 AM
ok ty and one last thing...whats an emrald theme manager and how do i get there...then shiney thank you's to u all
Emerald is a window decorator for Compiz-fusion, which is a window manager that uses OpenGL and Compositing. Basically, it uses your graphics card instead of the CPU which speeds things up, among other things.
Compiz is enabled by default in Ubuntu if your hardware supports it. You can get emerald by typing:

sudo apt-get install emerald
But check if you have hardware that supports running compiz. Once emerald is installed, you can run it by typing into a terminal:

emerald --replace &
Also, you'll have its theming app called "Emerald Theme Manager", under System -> Preferences (I think).
Themes for it can be found in the "Beryl" section of www.gnome-look.org

jimi_hendrix
July 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
thank you all