PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank screen on start up.....

wbutchart
July 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hi I have installed ubuntu on a laptop. I have a bios 81 error which i have read is nothing too serious.

There is a peculiar problem however, when i start the computer up the ubuntu loading screen come up. But when the log in screen shoul appear the screen is blank. What makes it stranger is i can log in, if i type the username and password i hear the ubuntu theme and it sounds like it loads. However the screen is completely blank. Anyone any ideas of how i can fix this?

thanks.

ibuclaw
July 22nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
When the PC boots up and appears to be at the login screen (the sound of the drum-roll is a good sign).
Press "Alt+Ctrl+F1" and see if it changes to Virtual Terminal 1 and displays screen for it too.

If so, there is something wrong with your xorg file and it needs fixing.

Regards
Iain

wbutchart
July 22nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
When the PC boots up and appears to be at the login screen (the sound of the drum-roll is a good sign).
Press "Alt+Ctrl+F1" and see if it changes to Virtual Terminal 1 and displays screen for it too.

If so, there is something wrong with your xorg file and it needs fixing.

Regards
Iain
Hi nope im afraid that makes no difference.

I do hear the drum roll thing and can log in but visual wise its completely blank.

sydbat
July 22nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
There should be an option in the grub screen that allows a fix for broken xorg files...can't think of the exact name though...something like fix graphics...

wbutchart
July 22nd, 2008, 12:59 AM
There should be an option in the grub screen that allows a fix for broken xorg files...can't think of the exact name though...something like fix graphics...
Sorry im new to ubuntu i really do not know what you mean. I looked in the grub menu and i have normal start up recovery start up (which does not contain that, and mem test. There is no option to fix images.

sydbat
July 22nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
It is in recovery start up...I just haven't had to use it in a long while and cannot remember what the option is called...I think it is the first one...? I'm not really helping am I?

wbutchart
July 22nd, 2008, 01:39 AM
It is in recovery start up...I just haven't had to use it in a long while and cannot remember what the option is called...I think it is the first one...? I'm not really helping am I?
I tried that it makes no difference.

I checked the ISO before i installed, there was no errors on installation, yet the screen is blank. I checked google and lots of people have experienced this on ubuntu.

Can anyone help?

wbutchart
July 22nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
Can someone please help, i installed this on a friends computer, i really do not want to leave it unsable.

ET!
July 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
i had the same problem try this link

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=859118