PDA

View Full Version : [other] How to use Creative Zen in Linux without using Amarok

Jordanwb
July 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM
Today I got a new mp3 player, the Creative Zen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZEN_(portable_media_player)). However when I plugged it in, it didn't show up on the KDE desktop, so that must mean it uses MTP instead of MSC and I can't change that. I saw this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=352014&highlight=creative+zen), but I don't like Amarok. Is there anyway to use my Zen without having to boot into Windows or use Amarok?

mcallenSchmee
July 21st, 2008, 11:45 PM
If you don't mind using gnome apps you can use gnomad, rhythmbox or banshee. The only one that can transfer video properly is banshee, but you need a version that handles video, so it can't be the one in the repos.

chalewa
July 22nd, 2008, 01:26 AM
If you don't mind using gnome apps you can use gnomad, rhythmbox or banshee. The only one that can transfer video properly is banshee, but you need a version that handles video, so it can't be the one in the repos.

not true, i have no problem adding video with gnomad.

in fact, i use gnomad to do all my transferring. video or music.

mcallenSchmee
July 27th, 2008, 06:12 AM
not true, i have no problem adding video with gnomad.

Yes, I can transfer video with gnomad too, but video won't rewind/fastforward/seek.

chalewa
July 30th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Yes, I can transfer video with gnomad too, but video won't rewind/fastforward/seek.

Huh?

maybe the file you are trying to transfer doesn't support seeking, but I know for a fact that I have transferred many video files that I have been able to seek through with gnomad

raakken
August 5th, 2008, 11:46 AM
chalewa: What do you use to downscale the videos/movies you put on your zen?
I tried do to it with my winbox, but it crashes when i try to transfer the movie:lolflag:

chalewa
August 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM
chalewa: What do you use to downscale the videos/movies you put on your zen?
I tried do to it with my winbox, but it crashes when i try to transfer the movie:lolflag:

What do you mean downscale?

I don't think that I have ever had to do anything to a video file that I tried to load onto my Zen

Jordanwb
August 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
What do you mean downscale?

I don't think that I have ever had to do anything to a video file that I tried to load onto my Zen

He means shrink the picture. You have to shrink it down to 320X240 for it to play on the Zen,

chalewa
August 7th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I will have to go home and check this out, but to my knowledge I have never had to do this.

All of the .avi files or whatever have played no problem on my zen. Now, I guess there is a chance that all of them have been at that resolution, but that would seem like an incredible coincidence

mcallenSchmee
August 16th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Huh?

maybe the file you are trying to transfer doesn't support seeking, but I know for a fact that I have transferred many video files that I have been able to seek through with gnomad

No, the files seek fine when they are transfered using banshee or read from an sd card, it's a problem with the transferring. What versions are you using? I'm using gnomad2 2.8.12 and libmtp 0.2.6.1 on Hardy.