PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Games - I can't understand why this happens.

Krazeel
July 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hello,

I'm sorry for the non specificity of this thread's title, I guess it's hard for me to explain this problem. I'll give it a try:

What happens is that I installed some 3d ubuntu native games and a few that can run fullscreen -such as Wormux- and all of them give me a similar problem: after almost 5 minutes running the application, the window resizes automatically, showing part of the desktop and nothing responds. The only thing left to do in this situation is to restart.
I've tried configuring every game to the lower settings and different screen resolutions, as well as figuring out what makes the screen pop out and I don't find what it can be.

I have a Geforce 7200 card and runs pretty well many modern games on medium settings.

What do you think I could do to solve this issue?:confused:

Thanks a lot for your time.

Lesouteneur
August 24th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I have this exact same issue. It has happened with Tuxracer and Urban Terror. I always just log out and in again but it is extremely annoying. I have no idea what could be causing this.

brian mcgee
August 24th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Try disabling visual effects.

rt click on desktop -> change desktop bkgrnd -> visual effects -> none -> close

Then play the game. I've had some trouble with visual effects and a couple games.

Krazeel
September 1st, 2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks, I'll post again after I try that.

Lesouteneur
September 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
It worked for me :)

Krazeel
October 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Hey thanks! It worked.
Long time has past but I haven't forgotten - I blame my ISP provider.

Ryan450
November 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Try disabling visual effects.

rt click on desktop -> change desktop bkgrnd -> visual effects -> none -> close

Then play the game. I've had some trouble with visual effects and a couple games.

Yes disabling the visual effects does the trick for me to, however I like to have a bunch of compiz's plugins enabled and i've configured them via the compiz-settings-manager.

when i disable the visual effects, it restores the defaults to these plugins, so when i turn them back on I have to reconfigure them. Is there anyway i can save my compiz config to a file or something so i dont lose them when I re-enable it?

brian mcgee
November 2nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Yes disabling the visual effects does the trick for me to, however I like to have a bunch of compiz's plugins enabled and i've configured them via the compiz-settings-manager.

when i disable the visual effects, it restores the defaults to these plugins, so when i turn them back on I have to reconfigure them. Is there anyway i can save my compiz config to a file or something so i dont lose them when I re-enable it? You might be able to restore your compiz settings from a profile. Check out the Preferences section of CompizConfig Settings Manager. Probably the easiest thing to do would be write a script to restore compiz after the game closes.

If you select flat-file backend from CompizConfig Settings Manager, you might be able to script a restore from settings stored in /home/user/.config/compiz/compizconfig -- not real sure though.

Check out:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=604973
http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=6511

eenofonn
November 4th, 2008, 03:19 AM
compiz switch is the best option imo http://forlong.blogage.de/entries/pages/Compiz-Switch