PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive Problem

sosalini
July 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
me new too !!!!!!!! I have problems with downloading programs , the main prob at the moment is I have an external hard drive I want to use . Ive installed it , after a struggle and a week of trying , its on my desktop at last , and it has 74 gigs awaiting use however I cant get it to let me put anything on it . Saying you dont own it .Ive tried all sorts of answers on the forums nothings worked ! How on earth do I get to use it . IT has now been set up to ext3 whatever that is , I hear thats good ! but cant get the terminal to allow me to change permissions to let me use it ! How do you get it to work ? thanks for any help , anyone can give .

The Cog
July 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM
sosalini: I suggest you start your own thread for this, rather than tail-end someone else's conversation.

When you do, post the output of the command mount so people can see what's really happening.

sosalini
July 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM
fair enough , not sure of protocol here , brand new idiot in linux , brain the size of an ant , skulks off tail between legs muttering command mount ? whats that mean , do not pass go do not collect 200 pounds ? might as well ask a new guinee head hunter if hes on the web , about as much chance of figuring that out , mumble , mutter , inaudible grunts and moans .I know Cogs a gear of some sort , seems like a nice young man . Alf git here .

t0p
July 21st, 2008, 08:19 AM
fair enough , not sure of protocol here , brand new idiot in linux , brain the size of an ant , skulks off tail between legs muttering command mount ? whats that mean , do not pass go do not collect 200 pounds ? might as well ask a new guinee head hunter if hes on the web , about as much chance of figuring that out , mumble , mutter , inaudible grunts and moans .I know Cogs a gear of some sort , seems like a nice young man . Alf git here .

sosalani: the Cog advised you to start a new thread for your problem. And before you start that thread, open a Terminal and type in the command

mount

so when you write the first post of your thread, you can paste the output of that command into your post. So people who want to help will know what the set-up of drives is on your computer.

The Cog wasn't being mean, he was trying to help.

Sef
July 21st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Moved posts to their own thread.