PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound in Paltalk Express rooms

ethos_dacapo
July 21st, 2008, 12:25 AM
Actually i do have sounds in paltalk express but i can't hear the voice chat (the whole point of me being there). From what i understand this has to do with java. I have Sun Java installed and its all working except the sound function. I tried using Openjdk There has to be a solution for this by now but i've yet to find it. I'm running 8.04 everything is up to date. Http://express.paltalk.com please help!!!

ethos_dacapo
July 22nd, 2008, 01:58 AM
bump~

ethos_dacapo
July 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
somebody has to know how to get sound working in firefox 3 on 8.04...
this is another one of those things that should just work in the first place....

ethos_dacapo
July 24th, 2008, 03:27 AM
is everybody on summer vacation or what??? didn't i get the memo???

BUMP

genbie
August 13th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I have the same problem but try to logout and login again (maybe even several times!) and it will work eventually. Frustrating I know but it should work.

Important point, there seems to be a conflict with other applications that use audio (e.g. Rhythmbox). The audio device needs to be free and solely available to Paltalk! Also, this is a two way conflict, so once you are successful in hearing audio inside Paltalk you have to log out and log in again to use it in Rhythmbox, YouTube or whatever.

james_xxx
October 15th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I would also like to know if anyone has a solution for this.

Could it be an issue with pulse audio?

james_xxx
November 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Has anyone discovered a way to get sound to work in Paltalk Express yet?

crystalp6
December 25th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Yup......that's the problem there!!
I also get no sound whatsoever with paltalk express.
It also is very slow at times and knocks u off site at times.
IT also does not allow u to close a room.
It also shows a very small screen and no option to make it larger if an actual room is on the screen.
and on and on and on!!
:-(

crystalp6
December 25th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Me toooooo, not to mention other problems with pal express!!
I hate it.
Cant now load paltalk scene either......computer refuses to load it.
Get error message saying it's my settings........guess what, it isn't!!
Anyone else have this problem?
I really love paltalk.
Would a new computer help?
Seriously!!

dekinstoke
January 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I think you will find the problems with sound in Paltalk Express are not local to your Pcs, but basically due to the fact that Express is still in Beta and not exactly stable.

I have had some success using the Paltalk Scene program under Wine in Ubuntu, with a little bit of tweaking... details below:

You can probably log into Paltalk and get Rooms List up running Paltak under WINE, but you can't access rooms right?

You need to install MSN Messenger 7 under Wine and probably Internet Explorer too (use IES4Linux).

MSN Messenger is available at www.oldversion.com (http://www.oldversion.com)

With these two installed I can access rooms, with sound and everything.

You will also need to get MS True Type fonts installed using a font server like xfstt otherwise it looks horrible.

End of the day, if Scene was supposed to run under Linux, the nice people at Paltalk would have made a Linux port ...wouldn't they?

ComputerHermit
April 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I think you will find the problems with sound in Paltalk Express are not local to your Pcs, but basically due to the fact that Express is still in Beta and not exactly stable.

I have had some success using the Paltalk Scene program under Wine in Ubuntu, with a little bit of tweaking... details below:

You can probably log into Paltalk and get Rooms List up running Paltak under WINE, but you can't access rooms right?

You need to install MSN Messenger 7 under Wine and probably Internet Explorer too (use IES4Linux).

MSN Messenger is available at www.oldversion.com (http://www.oldversion.com)

With these two installed I can access rooms, with sound and everything.

You will also need to get MS True Type fonts installed using a font server like xfstt otherwise it looks horrible.

End of the day, if Scene was supposed to run under Linux, the nice people at Paltalk would have made a Linux port ...wouldn't they?

may be it is the user ;p

firefox834
February 26th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I use Ubuntu 10.10 and alsamixer..i can hear all sound in paltalk rooms but i cant play music myself as i dont know the settings