PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] strigi, use or remove?

klas_katt
July 20th, 2008, 08:40 PM
What does Strigi do? Why is it a default application?

I don't have KDE4 (it was ugly and not very useable), but atleast KDE4 uses strigi for something?

I think it's a file search tool, or? Homepage just states that strigi is awsum, but not what it does. It just sits in my menu. I start it and after a little disk activity nothing happens, at all. There's no way to search files or whatever.

Can I just remove this?

wolfen69
July 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
you should have no problems removing it.

candtalan
July 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
(I did not even understand kde4, let alone like or dislike it!)

strigi:

I have just begun to discover it. It is a search tool, and once I guessed how to begin to use it, a good one.

It is not that self explanatory, except with some guessing or experience.

it has to be started 'start daemon'
then you have to get an index working - start indexing. May take a few minutes to create the search index list.

Its status can be seen - indexing or idling maybe.
The options are search, status, preferneces, help, about.

Then, to search (that is, to actually USE the tool), click search to get a separate search field, then use it.

Having said all that, I have just been testing it, and it seems to be idling and not reacting as I would expect. I have even just used system monitor to kill the strigi process....... to let me statrt again.
A bit clumsy.

I have used it a couple of times, but there is a lot I do not yet know about it. I certainly prefer the original 'find files'!

hth

klas_katt
July 23rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
Thanks, I purged six (!) strigi packages. I managed to get the search going with the applet, it returns a multitude of hits for a single file. What is the point of that? I'm not sure, but i think there was more overall disk activity when I had it installed and running.

krouda
July 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I am using KDE (I like it a lot) and just recently banged into this Strigi thing too. Strigi is more or less equivalent to Google Desktop. It indexes everything you could ever want to index on your computer (documents, media files, e-mail, browsing history, chat logs, etc.) and then you can search on it. There seems to be some excitement about it among the technical crowd but the references I found when I tried to figure out why its index had grown to 200 Gigabytes when I have no more than 30Gb of data all in, were from people who were having problems with it.

I just killed it with Adept and deleted all it's data.

But the reason I found it in the first place was that I wanted to search my computer for things.

Solution? I found a popular command line program called Beagle with a very friendly GUI called Kerry. If you pull them both down with Adept, Kerry Beagle will show up in your Utilities Menu on the K button. Seems to work well so far, and no huge index.

For what it's worth, it was quite a hunt to figure out where all my hard disk space had gone. I ended up finding a neat little utility on Adept called KDirStat. You can point this thing to your root directory and it gives you a nice easy graphic results list showing you the size of every directory (and ultimately file if you want) on your computer.

What does Strigi do? Why is it a default application?

I don't have KDE4 (it was ugly and not very useable), but atleast KDE4 uses strigi for something?

I think it's a file search tool, or? Homepage just states that strigi is awsum, but not what it does. It just sits in my menu. I start it and after a little disk activity nothing happens, at all. There's no way to search files or whatever.

Can I just remove this?

klas_katt
August 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks, seems like useful info!
(Where to click for "quick reply?)