PDA

View Full Version : Best name for a Linux distro?

Fixman
July 20th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I personally don't like very mutch the "ubuntu" name, so whats your favorite name?

HansKisaragi
July 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Ubuntu is not a bad name, i also like

http://i36.tinypic.com/2e3oaj6.png

MaxIBoy
July 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
MawOS, but I'm reserving that one for me.

ice60
July 20th, 2008, 06:49 PM
i'd go the lindows route, but go the whole way and call it windows vista and make the boxes identical to the other windows vista. but, my distro would be half the price of the microsoft one (maybe i'd call my company microsoft too :P) so everyone would buy it lol. i'd base it on ubuntu i think lol

mcduck
July 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Damn Small Linux. The most descriptive name for an OS/distro I've ever seen.

kko1
July 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I like Ubuntu as a name, because of what it represents:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)

My favourite is Kubuntu, as in "towards humanity", which is a goal I hold valuable.

kko1

DeadSuperHero
July 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM
SpaghettiOS.

There's no real one that I know of. But, using it would be awesome!

dizee
July 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
yeah ubuntu is a great name when you understand what it means. much better than macintosh or windows, which are frankly awful names.

as for linux distros, i like debian just for the sound of it, SuSE is too hard to pronounce, and red hat is just stupid. dyne:bolic is a great name but i've absolutely no idea what it's supposed to mean.

lukjad
July 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM
*Bucking the trend*
Ubuntu.

billgoldberg
July 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I don't care much for Ubuntu (the word).

Sure the meaning might be good and all, the name isn't.

A good name?

I always like the name "slackware".

myusername
July 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
i like knoppix sabayon and mandriva.

but if i would name one it would be totallyawesomeOS

eragon100
July 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
i'd go the lindows route, but go the whole way and call it windows vista and make the boxes identical to the other windows vista. but, my distro would be half the price of the microsoft one (maybe i'd call my company microsoft too :P) so everyone would buy it lol. i'd base it on ubuntu i think lol

Oh, you mean Vixta! : http://vixta.sourceforge.net

Dragon Linux! (Dragonux?)

Sealbhach
July 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Puppy Linux is my fave.

I'd like a distro called Voom Voom.

Flyingjester
July 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I like GoblinX

kko1
July 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
as for linux distros, i like debian just for the sound of it, SuSE is too hard to pronounce, and red hat is just stupid.

I can pronounce both Debbie and Suzy just fine, with or without a fedora. ;)

I have to agree with someone's Slackware-appreciation too though. It's a fine name, take-it-easy'ish (notwithstanding the connotations of careless or negligent, which I wouldn't associate with Slackware anyway).

But what is a name other than what it signifies?

dizee
July 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I can pronounce both Debbie and Suzy just fine, with or without a fedora. ;)

I have to agree with someone's Slackware-appreciation too though. It's a fine name, take-it-easy'ish (notwithstanding the connotations of careless or negligent, which I wouldn't associate with Slackware anyway).

But what is a name other than what it signifies?
yeah, slackware is a great name. i just don't get suse though. is it soose, syuse, sooze, syuze or what.

it is true as well that the names themselves don't really matter, so long as they are distinctive, memorable and reasonably easy to pronounce.

chucky chuckaluck
July 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
i don't like the name 'ubuntu' either. sure, i like the meaning of the word, but i fail to see what that has to do with an operating system. i certainly don't see anything more inherently humane about the ubuntu distro than any other distro. i like 'baboontu', though. i thought that was hilarious, wherever it came from. i like 'slackware', but with all the work it looks like it takes, i think the title is misleading.

kko1
July 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
i fail to see what (the name ubuntu) has to do with an operating system. i certainly don't see anything more inherently humane about the ubuntu distro than any other distro.

Well I think the name is nice in that it is a reminder of the community aspect of life. Sure, it's mostly pretty abstract, but still, it's there in the name.

i like 'slackware', but with all the work it looks like it takes, i think the title is misleading.

Could be. Though I didn't think the work needed was prohibitive when I used it (and still don't). (Kind of OT, but IMO it's pretty much the same with any distro, including Ubuntu. I.e. what most decides the work needed with any distro is how well it recognizes your hardware (and how well the programs interact), and if you have to troubleshoot, it's not too slack with ubuntu either. :) )

neoAnderson
July 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Mandriva is a cool name - reminds of some sort of a sorceress or a goddess or something ;)

Fedora sounds very professional.

Zenwalk is impressive.

BSD is very matter-of-fact.

days_of_ruin
July 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
gNewSense...NOT!

ubuntu is my favorite.

Diabolis
July 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
i like 'baboontu', though. i thought that was hilarious, wherever it came from.

:lolflag: I would like to see a distro with that name. The theme art would be cool with a wallpaper similar to hardy's.

chucky chuckaluck
July 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Could be. Though I didn't think the work needed was prohibitive when I used it (and still don't). (Kind of OT, but IMO it's pretty much the same with any distro, including Ubuntu. I.e. what most decides the work needed with any distro is how well it recognizes your hardware (and how well the programs interact), and if you have to troubleshoot, it's not too slack with ubuntu either. :) )

i think of 'slack' as in how little i'll have to do.

Sealbhach
July 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
i think of 'slack' as in how little i'll have to do.

I always think of

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/prinback.jpg

D-EJ915
July 21st, 2008, 03:26 AM
lunar linux or sorcerer which is a very clever name.

adamogardner
July 21st, 2008, 03:44 AM
all the existing distros are very well named. Cool names. There are some cool sounding names in the sky, like fomalhaut, regulus, altair, and the list is rather continuous. i could almost see mandriva glowing in perseus, or ubuntu in uras major. As for those mentioned here. spaghettiOS wins my vote. 8-[