PDA

View Full Version : Who was the wise guy?

linbetwin
November 5th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Does anybody know who messed with our forums?

herrpoon
November 5th, 2005, 09:38 PM
No idea...maybe if these forums were hosted on ubuntu machines rather than BSD ones, this wouldn't have happened! :p

xequence
November 5th, 2005, 10:03 PM
No idea...maybe if these forums were hosted on ubuntu machines rather than BSD ones, this wouldn't have happened! :p

I thought BSD was a really secure and stable operating system...

Qrk
November 5th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Nothing is invincible.

Sirin
November 5th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Does anybody know who messed with our forums?

Probaly one of those Microsoft cupheads being paid in the heavies to hack our database.

Kvark
November 5th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Yea wonder who the wise guy was... Maybe some lamer who trolled, acted up, misbehaved or something on the forums and got pwned so big by the moderators he just had to go play script kiddie.

Isn't Ubuntu primarily a desktop OS? Using it on a server would be kinda like using any other dektop oriented OS like Mepis, Linspire, OSX or Windows on a server. Anyway, if it was a DDoS attack like the romours on IRC say then it doesn't matter what OS the server runs.

majikstreet
November 5th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Yea wonder who the wise guy was... Maybe some lamer who trolled, acted up, misbehaved or something on the forums and got pwned so big by the moderators he just had to go play script kiddie.

Isn't Ubuntu primarily a desktop OS? Using it on a server would be kinda like using any other dektop oriented OS like Mepis, Linspire, OSX or Windows on a server. Anyway, if it was a DDoS attack like the romours on IRC say then it doesn't matter what OS the server runs.
Ubuntu has a minimum "server" install which is basically just debian.... Nothing special--no X gnome etc.....

I use ubuntu as a server.

herrpoon
November 5th, 2005, 11:18 PM
it was only a joke!

linbetwin
November 5th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Who's laughing?

BWF89
November 5th, 2005, 11:30 PM
They haven't found a major security flaw in OpenBSD in like 7 years.

Kapre
November 6th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Maybe he feels happy with what he did. But he'll have his time. I think it's because Ubuntu is so popular now.

K

xequence
November 6th, 2005, 04:25 AM
They haven't found a major security flaw in OpenBSD in like 7 years.

OpenBSD.org: "Only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8 years!"

=D> :-({|= =D>

oddabe19
November 6th, 2005, 05:30 AM
what happened?

skylark
November 6th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I'm only guessing here, but was it some sort of denial of service attack? It can be pretty tough defending against that.

frühstück
November 6th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Some clowns attacked every big board yesterday, i think they just wanted to see who goes down first. And yes, you can do almost nothing against a denial of service attack...

public_void
November 6th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I have to admitted I like the message, referring to them as clowns, made me chuckle. But I was surprised when I visited that I got to the site easily, possibly the attack was over.

DJ_Max
November 6th, 2005, 10:37 PM
It is.

But how did you come to the conclusion it had anything to do with the OS? From what I'm hearing it was a DDOS attack which had nothing to do with bugs in any software.

i think they just wanted to see who goes down first. And yes, you can do almost nothing against a denial of service attack...
Not true, if that was the case, companies wouldn't be spending money on anti-DDOS hardware/software. It all depends on what type of DDOS attack it was.

panickedthumb
November 7th, 2005, 12:13 AM
speaking of which, were they getting attacked earlier as well? Seems so.