PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] MythTV Server, think this is good enough?

Lemons
July 20th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Well, I tried MythTV and love how I can pay only $20/yr for better service then I get from a box that cost me $120/yr! So, I decided to invest some money into a computer that will handle 4 frontend computers (Getting old computers with pentium III and such for about $10 a computer for that. My 500mhz works fine for backend+frontend... Just want encoding and such). But, I am not sure how I would do this. I got the specs all done:

2GB Ram (DDR2 @ 800)
1.6ghz dual core
motherboard with onboard nvidia 7100, gigabit ethernet, and 4 PCI slots.

That should be fine for recording/encoding shows. But, for the capture cards, right now I have a saa7134 rigged up with a audio cord with 2 jacks to get from my capture to my sound card. Now, that wont be ideal if I need a few capture cards to make this thing work. So my question what is a good card that loops back the audio in the card, and not through a wire. I think this is fine: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1600 TV Tuner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116007) would do the trick (I want digital channels also).

Any better suggestions? Or is would this be fine.

Also, what would be my best bet for getting the video+audio back to a TV? Any PCI card that outputs the yellow/red/white stuff, so I can plug it in like a gaming console or such?

Thank you!
~Kris