PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help with compiling gtkpod from SVN

nimbis
July 20th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I started using Ubuntu Gutsy about 6 months or so ago, and the only thing that keeps it from being perfect is that I can't transfer .mp4 movies to my iPod with gtkpod.
Whenever I tried to transfer mp4s with the version of gtkpod in the Gutsy repos, I got this message:

"Import of 'movie.mp4' failed: m4a/m4p/m4b not supported without the mp4v2 library. You must compile the gtkpod source together with the mp4v2 library.
The following track could not be processed (filetype is known but analysis failed): 'movie.mp4'

A few months ago, this statement terrified me, but since then I've become comfortable with compiling and all that, and I thought I'd give it a go.
I grabbed a libmp4v2 tarball from http://resare.com/libmp4v2/dist/. I successfully compiled it, and installed it with checkinstall.

I then got the latest SVN of gtkpod from this command:

svn co https://gtkpod.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gtkpod gtkpod

First I compiled the libgpod trunk directory that I got from that command, and I installed it (without checkinstall, it didn't work that way for some reason)
Then I went into the gtkpod trunk directory, and attemped to build it with these commands:

./autogen.sh

This command revealed this line near the end:

mp4v2 ................: yes -- will build with aac support

That's good, I thought, that means that I installed libmp4v2 correctly! :)
I then attempted to make it:

make
and got this output at the end of the process:

display_playlists.o: In function `pm_selection_changed_cb':
/home/freman/gtkpod/gtkpod/trunk/src/display_playlists.c:1535: undefined reference to `g_warn_if_reached'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [gtkpod] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/freman/gtkpod/gtkpod/trunk/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/freman/gtkpod/gtkpod/trunk'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am so, so close. I can taste it. How do I get over this last hurdle?

pedja_portugalac
January 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I have same problem. After gtkpod project people have separated libgpod and gtkpod. The package from within synaptic package manager isn't fully functional. The gtkpod from synaptic can't handle mp4 movies on my iPod (the one version before iPod touch). Before Interpid (or before libgpod and gtkpod separation) the package from synaptic worked fine on previous version of Ubuntu, but now it says exactly the same as in case above.

"Import of 'movie.mp4' failed: m4a/m4p/m4b not supported without the mp4v2 library. You must compile the gtkpod source together with the mp4v2 library.
The following track could not be processed (filetype is known but analysis failed): 'movie.mp4'

So I decided to compile and install from source the latest gtkpod from svn. After downloading latest packages from subversion I can do that with simple ./autogen.sh > make > sudo make install for both libgpod and gtkpod and I can see the icon in the applications menu tab but it doesn't work, not even open the window. If I try to start gtkpod from terminal it say "some error".

Did anyone have done it with success on Interpid?

andrew.46
January 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hi pedja,

Did anyone have done it with success on Interpid?

I managed to successfully compile gtkpod but I went about is slightly differently. If you are simply after an added option you might be best to recompile from the original Ubuntu source. I suspect that the 'build-dep' command may only work for Intrepid, if so my apologies for the gentleman who uses Hardy. To assemble to required dev files I ran:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep gtkpod

and this assembled about 8 megs of required files including the dev files for libgpod:

autotools-dev comerr-dev dpatch fakeroot flex libart-2.0-dev libavahi-glib-dev
libcurl4-gnutls-dev libflac-dev libgconf2-dev libgcrypt11-dev libglade2-dev
libgnomecanvas2-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libgnutls-dev libgpg-error-dev libgpod-dev
libhal-dev libid3tag0 libid3tag0-dev libidl-dev libidn11-dev libkadm55 libkrb5-dev
libldap2-dev liborbit2-dev libselinux1-dev libsepol1-dev libtasn1-3-dev libxml2-dev
m4 orbit2 patchutils

This list will probably vary according to what is present already on your system I guess. It did not include libmp4v2 which is not a big surprise as the Ubuntu package must be built wthout it. So the following were also added manually:

$ sudo apt-get install libmp4v2-0 libmp4v2-dev libmpeg4ip-0 libmpeg4ip-dev

To download the gtkpod source from Ubuntu I used the following, don't use sudo for this otherwise you will need to adjust the permissions:

$ apt-get source gtkpod

and then the following:

$ cd gtkpod-0.99.12
$ ./configure

and saw the magic words:

Configuration for gtkpod 0.99.12 :
--------------------------------

Host System Type .....: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Install path .........: /usr/local
GTK2 version .........: 2.14.4
GLib2/GThread version : 2.18.2
gnome-vfs.............: yes -- will build with automount support
hal...................: yes -- will build with HAL support
libcurl ..............: yes -- will build with coverart download support
mp4v2 ................: yes -- will build with aac support
vorbisfile ...........: yes -- will build with ogg support
FLAC .................: yes -- will build with FLAC support

(wooooo hooooo!) and proceded:

$ make
$ sudo checkinstall --fstrans=no

I attach a screenshot to show gtkpod + an mp4 (aac + h264) in action :-). Now if I only had access to an iPod ....

Andrew

pedja_portugalac
January 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I'll try it right now. :wink:

Yes it works. Thank You Andrew very much for helping us ones again. :razz: You are the one who helped me most this days, respect for that. :wink:
PS. Right after install ubuntu complain about update for gtkpod. Don't update, guys, if you update you'll lost your ability to transfer movies to ipod cause the update bring back official gtkpod from aptitude!!!

holycoww74
May 13th, 2009, 12:07 AM
thank you SOO much for this how to.... worked perfectly on my new 4th Gen ipod nano. now I won't have to boot windows and use that pile of crap iTunes.

andrew.46
May 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Hi holycoww,

thank you SOO much for this how to.... worked perfectly on my new 4th Gen ipod nano. now I won't have to boot windows and use that pile of crap iTunes.

Excellent news, I had almost forgotten this little piece of research I put together :-). One day I have to ge one of these ipods!!

All the very best,

Andrew

Athanasius
July 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Thank you very much, the info helped me. I don't know why the the default version in the repos. doesn't include video support, it really should.

vicadin
November 26th, 2009, 07:01 AM
thank you very much. the installation process went smoothly but i have a little problem here. whenever i add an MP4 file to the music library, gtkpod won't show any cover art for it. i first thought videos didnt have any cover arts and that iPod extracted little thumbs for videos from the video itself, but now it seems it doesnt. i transfer the video to my iPod, and it plays it pretty well, but there's no thumbnail (or coverart). what could be the problem? mp4 files i have are encoded with H.264/AVC codec. does gtkpod automatically extract thumbnails for videos?