PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Animated Pics in Ubuntu

rectec794613
July 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Hey I'm not sure if this is the right forum but well I have a problem when downloading animated GIFs. When they get on my computer, there no longer animated. (don't move) how do i get them to stay animated on my computer so i can use them on youtube?

jmap82
April 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM
http://xibex.blogspot.com/2008/08/view-animated-gif-image-in-ubuntu.html

milio1401
April 17th, 2009, 01:52 AM
i had the same question a couple of months ago,and i read you can open them with gthumb

neu2buntu
April 17th, 2009, 01:57 AM
gthumb does the job, but i have found imagemagick better as it wraps a window neatly around the .gif image. run from terminal with command
animate /path/to/.gif

kaibob
April 18th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I wasn't aware that the animate command will show animated gifs. Nice to know.

You can also view animated gifs with Firefox. Just enter the following in a terminal window:

firefox filename.gif

I just noticed that the original post is dated October 2008. I suspect that the OP has resolved this issue or moved on.

neu2buntu
April 18th, 2009, 01:54 AM
have you tried the
animate command yet Kaibob on your .gif images? just was wanting to know if imagemagick was a default install ie (already in the default install) or if i installed it ages ago without realising?

and yeah every web browser will play the".gif" but i have noticed that youtube wont "animate/play" a .gif as a background image in my profile, but i have seen profiles before where it did play the animation (although it was last year)

...will post about this problem soon!!! im just starting to use "gimp" and it is superb,and i have never worked with graphics before ever,but am really having fun with ubuntu.....( i will never go to the dark side again WINDOWS well except to fix my dads viruses and spyware,trojans,malware,rootkits(unlikely) damage in general...but just saying "UBUNTU ROCKS" heres a .gif i made in about 10 minutes (da par o gimp)

kaibob
April 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
have you tried the
animate command yet Kaibob on your .gif images? just was wanting to know if imagemagick was a default install ie (already in the default install) or if i installed it ages ago without realising?...
Yes I did try the animate command with a GIF file, and it worked fine. I'm running Ubuntu Hardy, which I upgraded from two previous versions, so I can't remember for sure if Imagemagick was a default install or not. As best I can remember it was not a default install but only consumed a few MB of hard drive space.

bashphoenux
May 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
thank you !!!!!

neu2buntu
May 15th, 2009, 08:09 PM
thank you !!!!!
hi and welcome to the forums..... what worked for you?