PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4- All a matter of the packaging

ryaxnb
July 19th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I totally agree with others on this - it's all a matter of packaging. I looked on KDE 4's website, saw the pretty Plasma pics, and downloaded KDE 4.1 Beta from the Kubuntu beta repositories. Then, finding that it sucked *** (no plasmoids, no default desktop icons, horrible look, bad panel, bad menu, and waiting on other KDE 4 programs), I tried OpenSUSE 11. Yay! It's fantastic. I got the net-install CD and downloaded about 2.5GB worth of stuff, so I got basically everything. Then I installed both KDE 4 and KDE 3.5 DEs. So far, KDE 4 looks really nice (version 4.0.) I'm installing version 4.1 beta from SuSE's repos now. Looks good. :) Of course, I don't really like SuSE's package management that much so for now SuSE remains in a Virtual Machine, so I can try it out. I may well replace my Mandriva secondary install with it though. :D

Oh and detection of the VMWare HW was excellent: it appeared to recognize and auto-install drivers for the VM'ed display - not generic VESA drivers, but actual resizable-window style drivers, as well as "full mouse-in-mouse-out" integration mouse drivers. I don't know which Linuxes do that.

Shippou
July 19th, 2008, 06:30 AM
So, you're OpenSuSe now....

Can you please post screenshots of your PC? Can't wait to see it... :)

I'm also thinking of upgrading to KDE4. :)

ryaxnb
July 19th, 2008, 06:38 AM
So, you're OpenSuSe now....

Can you please post screenshots of your PC? Can't wait to see it... :)

I'm also thinking of upgrading to KDE4. :)
Sorry, everything's stock. I always use stock config.

L815
July 19th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I used OpenSuse with KDE 4(it's actually a hybrid of 4 and 4.1), and 4.1 from the dev repos.

4 seemed to run more stable than updating it to 4.1 for me.
Also suse doesn't configure my touchpad correctly, and adds another touchpad entry in xorg.conf for some reason.

I've decided to wait until it's a bit more stable to run it officially.
Kubuntu's Kde4 config on my system is even worse (kde4 wise not hardware)

karellen
July 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
KDE 4 in opensuse 11 was nicer than other implementations (like the one in Fedora 9)... for about 10 minutes, until it crashed. then I restarted, ejected the livecd and return to the old good KDE 3.5.9 from Mandriva

ryaxnb
July 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
KDE 4 in opensuse 11 was nicer than other implementations (like the one in Fedora 9)... for about 10 minutes, until it crashed. then I restarted, ejected the livecd and return to the old good KDE 3.5.9 from Mandriva
Admittedly I haven't used KDE 4 much, but I don't expect it to be the patron saint of stability. It works, that's what's important to me; I think I'll put it on my laptop. It hasn't crashed on me yet. (I'm using KDE 4.1 RC1, not KDE 4.0).

spoons
July 21st, 2008, 02:21 AM
Normal KDE 4 for me on Ubuntu seems to be buggy, but doesn't crash for me. The apps sometimes do, though. :)