PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Mass conversion of .wav to .ogg?

vbman11
July 19th, 2008, 03:05 AM
So here's my problem:
I bought a bunch of stuff off the itunes music store. Then (after I started using ubuntu) I burnt it all(protected aac's) to cd's to import into Exaile. I copied the rest of my collection into my music directory. then I took the .wav's directly off the cd renamed them and put them into my music directory in the "correct" dirs ([artist]/[album]/[song].*) as the rest of the music. well now I want to convert all of them to .ogg so I can use ID3. I have already tried Sound Converter and it's kde equivilent Sound Konverter, but both gave wierd errors, so I moved on to ffmpeg, here is what I came up with:

ffmpeg -i /home/kevin/Music/*/*/*.wav /home/kevin/Music/*/*/*.ogg
Will this work?
I noticed, while playing with ffmpeg, I can set the ID3 tags just by adding a couple of args, can I use the dir names to set those?

Lastly, are there any WORKING programs to do this in a lot easier way?

logos34
July 19th, 2008, 03:19 AM
To convert wavs to ogg in the CLI I personally prefer to call the ogg codec directly:

man oggenc

I noticed, while playing with ffmpeg, I can set the ID3 tags just by adding a couple of args, can I use the dir names to set those?

show us exactly what you want to change by posting an ID3 tag

ad_267
July 19th, 2008, 03:20 AM
What errors did you get with sound converter? Would be helpful if you actually specified, as it works fine for me and I'm sure many other people.

vbman11
July 19th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Ok, so the wav file doesn't support an ID so I wanted to add the title/album/artist to the ogg automatically. And I tried sound converter again and It does convert fine, but I only want to convert the .wav's to .ogg's. Can you do that in sound converter?

BTW this is the only thing keeping me using Itunes.

ad_267
July 19th, 2008, 03:47 AM
In SoundConverter click on Add Folder, click on the bar next to Filter and select .wav then select the folder. Easy peasy.

logos34
July 19th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Ok, I see what you're saying...If you're still getting errors in SoundConverter, try dBpoweramp music convertor (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm&sa=X&oi=smap&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNHDMqPbwELJDkE2UMmF-PXtQrPr-w). It's the best. Then you can add artist/album/track there, pretty simple

vbman11
July 19th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Ok so I figured it out:

"$ soundconverter /home/kevin/Music/*/*/*.wav"

this loads only the wanted wav files and then I can convert them.